How many papers, Repeating same papers

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
berks_mum

How many papers, Repeating same papers

Post by berks_mum »

I wanted to know how many papers(roughly) per subject(mixed) did your DCs do for selective and super-selective schools ? People with DCs doing the test last year may have a fair idea of how much they did ? Was it just enough/more/less ?
Did you make your DCs repeat the papers a few times (how many times) ? Was it helpful ?
parent2013

Re: How many papers, Repeating same papers

Post by parent2013 »

You may repeat but first attempt is always a fair indication of actual performance. I remember one of the parent whose dc got in excess of 95% in all GL after 3 iterations. But he missed out on the super-selective seat.

I suggest one may take a gap in repeating say 2-3 months otherwise the child will remember some of the questions from previous attempt.
gameon

Post by gameon »

I don't repeat the papers but simply give the sections he made mistakes of. If it is comprehension, I don't repeat them at all. I don't think we have time to repeat the whole paper.
It is the problem of having too many papers. (My bookshelf is over flowing).
Last edited by gameon on Thu May 08, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

gameon wrote:It is the problem of having too many papers. (My bookshelf is over flowing).
:lol:

I thought my work mate was crazy.....he invited us over and showed me 3 bulging A4 ring-binders of papers each weighing a tonne! :lol:
gameon

Post by gameon »

You haven't seen my other papers on my work laptop (shhh!!!).
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

We didn't do any apart from some Bond 10 min NVR tests. We worked through the CPG and FPP ones in bits and pieces - some alone, some timed but did no long mixed papers.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

For the Tiffin exam mine did one paper a week with the tutor throughout year 5 (but not in the holidays), alternate weeks verbal/non-verbal, introducing techniques/question types as they went along. That's all we did with my son. For my daughter I did a few extra papers with her in the last two weeks before the exam date but we didn't repeat anything as far as I know. She then switched to doing one maths and English paper (eg Bond 11+ or 12+ and Haberdasher's Askes past papers or similar) each week in preparation for the Tiffin Girls' second stage test which was maths, comprehension and creative writing. We didn't do that much as we felt she was getting a lot of input at school for maths and English as she was already in the level 6 groups and therefore doing more advanced work. I also found two Bond books that I thought provided useful checklists for general English and Maths knowledge, which were called "How to do 11plus English" and "How to do 11plus Maths". They were probably not that exhaustive in content, and nor were they targeted towards any particular exam but I did feel they were beneficial.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

I was trying to find out if the scores improve after doing some papers ? I.e If DD scores 80% on first paper will she score more after doing few papers of the same subject ( same level of difficulty) ?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi berks_mum - sorry I've realised my reply probably wasn't that helpful! I would say repeating a paper would be useful if you have gone through the questions she got wrong the first time and worked out if she understands what to do. You can identify weaker areas then and work on technique with her. I'm afraid with my children this is what the tutor did so I can't help you with teaching methods. I think there are various "How to..." books around if you need help (I'd still recommend the bond maths and English ones I mentioned in my last post). People who did more home tutoring than me would hopefully have some ideas about verbal/nonverbal help. The main thing I would say at the moment is don't worry if her scores in test papers are not as high as you would like - concentrate on topics and techniques. And building up her confidence. You can repeat papers in timed test conditions later. Good luck.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

berks_mum wrote:I was trying to find out if the scores improve after doing some papers ? I.e If DD scores 80% on first paper will she score more after doing few papers of the same subject ( same level of difficulty) ?
I think Peridot is right and what she is explaining is that after every paper, sit with your DC and review her mistakes. Then do the question with the child, explaining the technique of that type of VR or NVR question. Once the techniques are learnt well, the scores will vastly improve as well as will take less time. However, do not repeat the same paper again for few weeks as children often remember the answers and you would not be able to make a good assessment of their ability. Keep some papers to be done in just a month before the test, so that child gets to do some thing new in the run up to the tests.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now