Level 6 in Year 5 - possible ?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
berks_mum

Level 6 in Year 5 - possible ?

Post by berks_mum »

If a DC achieves Level5 in the first term of Year 5 then what do they do in the next two terms of Year 5 ? Get bored, solve more problems at the same level or Study level 6 targets ? From what I gathered (previous posts on this forum) Level 6 is really taught in secondary school. Primary level 6 is more of an extension of level 5.
Are primary schools allowed to introduce level6 targets in Year 5 ?
Daogroupie

Re: Level 6 in Year 5 - possible ?

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dds went into Y6 on 5A in Maths and English. This is going to happen more and more as students prepare for the 11 plus. I know lots of Y5's who are already on Level 6 English and probably even more if their teachers were able to assess them properly. Primary school teachers do not have to have an English or Maths degree or even A levels in these subjects so it starts to become a problem. The parent of a Y5 student I know has already been told by the school that it is starting to become an issue for them. They don't understand what he is talking about because they do not know the material that he now does. I know several parents who were forced to move their students into more challenging environments. CIty boys offers places through exam at Y6 which some are hoping to take up. But Level 5 has three sub levels and you are supposed to go up two sub levels a year so in theory you could start and end Y5 on Level 5. In reality I know many 11 plus students who are going up an entire sats level in one term. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Perhaps the school could cover ALL of level 5 for a start - not just the bits that are in the Primary curriculum. (Secondary Maths teacher speaking here!)

The 'level 6' papers are nowhere near level 6 - not like the reading papers which are a better fit. My DS was given extension work from NRICH and the Primary Maths challenge; all the evidence shows acceleration is not good for future success in maths.

http://www.acme-uk.org/news/news-items- ... ematicians" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Guest55, do you mean that Level 6 English at KS2, is nearer in content to Level 6 in KS3?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The papers are more similar to the level 6 expected in secondary - of course they are only tested on two texts and it's a short test. I doubt they have covered the range of tests a secondary student would have to be at level 6.

My colleagues think is a better match - whereas I haven't found ONE secondary maths teacher that thinks the level 6 maths papers are level 6.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I see; thanks for the insight, Guest55.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I can honestly say that Monday's reading test for level 6 bore very little resemblance to the work son number one did at level 6 last year at grammar. Obviously it may be his particular teacher but I was impressed with the level of understanding they required for homework etc. and the various approaches taught to illustrate their comprehension.
Monday's primary level 6 comp was hard going but not tricky, more inference and harder to find the answers than level 5.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

In my opinion SATS are a bit of a farce, a friend of mine said her son got level six in maths but he is not a level 6, Apparently, because it is a small school the class teacher would walk around during the exam helping the children!!!
Her son is now at secondary school where his predicted grades (based on his SATS) were quite unattainable for him!!
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Daogroupie wrote:Both my dds went into Y6 on 5A in Maths and English. This is going to happen more and more as students prepare for the 11 plus. I know lots of Y5's who are already on Level 6 English and probably even more if their teachers were able to assess them properly. Primary school teachers do not have to have an English or Maths degree or even A levels in these subjects so it starts to become a problem. The parent of a Y5 student I know has already been told by the school that it is starting to become an issue for them. They don't understand what he is talking about because they do not know the material that he now does. I know several parents who were forced to move their students into more challenging environments. CIty boys offers places through exam at Y6 which some are hoping to take up.
How did they move to more challenging environment ? I have no idea about it at all.
But Level 5 has three sub levels and you are supposed to go up two sub levels a year so in theory you could start and end Y5 on Level 5. In reality I know many 11 plus students who are going up an entire sats level in one term. DG
Sorry, I forgot mention it is level 5A.
An example, DC enters Yr5 with 5B then advances to 5A (end of first term).
What will this DC do in second and third term of Yr5 or in Yr6 ?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Guest55 wrote:Perhaps the school could cover ALL of level 5 for a start - not just the bits that are in the Primary curriculum. (Secondary Maths teacher speaking here!)

The 'level 6' papers are nowhere near level 6 - not like the reading papers which are a better fit. My DS was given extension work from NRICH and the Primary Maths challenge; all the evidence shows acceleration is not good for future success in maths.

http://www.acme-uk.org/news/news-items- ... ematicians" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest 55, which aspects of level 5 do they not cover ? Would you please list some.

Also, would you be kind enough to list some real Level 6 targets (secondary not the primary extension) ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now