UGS appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CAN

UGS appeal

Post by CAN »

Hi all,
My appeal is approaching fast and I am dreading it :( .DD was unsuccessful in her exam by 1 mark and at review stage .I know of others who gained places at review stage who were alot further away in marks than her . Her review stated that she was not accepted because she missed questions ( 12 on her english missed completely ! ) therefore could not keep pace and that the continuous prose section had weak idea development and did not follow instructions. This section is only used for review purposes . I have submitted current levels 5b across all subjects at this time expected 5a maths and reading and a recent mock SAT where she gained a 6c mentioned on the headteacher letter. I have submitted school reports for years 5 and 6 and meantioned level 3 at ks1.The school does not do spelling / reading scores or CAT tests.There are no extenuating circumstances.
I know that this is where she should be but after the surprising knock back at review I am very nervous. The school is now full :cry: The school is an academy and has only had 4 successful reviews out of 70 in the last 3 years ! Any help or advice from members greatly appreciated. :D :D
CAN

Re: UGS APPEAL

Post by CAN »

I meant to say do I have to respond to their statement about them being oversubscribed now or do I just respond in the appeal?
Thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

Have you seen the Start Page?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are you aware of the possible implications of a review? Do you happen to know whether the admission authority intends to argue 'fair, consistent & objective'?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
do I have to respond to their statement about them being oversubscribed now or do I just respond in the appeal?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... school#c30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
CAN

Post by CAN »

Thank you Etienne . The school have not mentioned the review at all . They have sent a copy of my case , their admissions policy ,their statement on admissions and the order of the hearing document . The deadline for evidence is this Monday . I am trying to find out now if they have gone over PAN before . How far back in years is relevant ? I was just worried that I had to write something about their case on over subscription before Monday :o
Thanks again
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

CAN wrote:Thank you Etienne . The school have not mentioned the review at all .
It's up to them to prove 'fair, consistent & objective'! - but I suggest you go to the hearing with some probing questions ready. The Q&As should give you some ideas.

In Bucks (as an example) there is the school's general case http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=37395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+ the clerk's notes.
The two go together.
I am trying to find out now if they have gone over PAN before . How far back in years is relevant?
I would suggest looking at the current years 7-11.
I was just worried that I had to write something about their case on over subscription before Monday
Definitely not. Just ask questions at the hearing.
Etienne
llol39

Post by llol39 »

Hi this was posted on an UGS thread recently in the Trafford section of the forum. It may be of interest?

"Just been to an info evening at UGS about the residential in September to hear that they have increased their intake numbers from 128 to 150 for this year (2014 intake). Apparently this was due to demand and also the fact that they have had some new classrooms built.
I have just looked at their website and seen that there will be 150 places next year too (2015 intake)."
CAN

Post by CAN »

Thank you llol39 and Etienne. The school have stated that they have taken 150 due to the new classrooms and that they are now full :( .
I appreciate your help . :D Just need to get all my arguments together and try to word my questions to the school so that they make sense :roll:
Thanks again
CAN

Post by CAN »

Hi again . I am currently putting together my questions for the admissions authority . I am quite conscious that I am attacking their case and have seen from q and a s that this isn't wise . How many questions are too much ?! I am worried that if I tone it down that it would be as if I am agreeing with them ! Any help is appreciated !
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi CAN

Hopefully the panel will raise many of your questions themselves.

If not, you shouldn't feel limited as to how many questions you raise yourself, but try to avoid "nit-picking". Stick to more general issues.

Do it all very politely and try not to adopt an adversarial style of speaking. You are simply asking for further information to "test" the school's case.

S-A
CAN

Post by CAN »

Thank you Sally-Anne .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now