CRGS Houses

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mikedellfarm

CRGS Houses

Post by mikedellfarm »

Does anyone know when you are told of your son's house at CRGS ? Are the blazers and ties house specific or is it just the ties ?
Minesatea

Re: CRGS Houses

Post by Minesatea »

HI,
The blazer is now the same for all. The only house specific items in the new uniform are the tie and the PE t-shirt.
I think we were told house and form at the parents info evening, ? late june unless it has changed more recently.

Should you get Jays, I have a barely worn PE shirt you are welcome to, but as DS (who is about to finish) has not grown it to it yet, it might be a little large!!
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Thats brilliant and kind of you to offer.. I may well take you up on that ! Am I guessing its ok to source your own black trousers and white shirts etc ? Is there anything on the uniform lists that are really unnecessary or is it all compulsory ? Got two boys starting new schools in September and I still wince remembering the last time I had to spend £500 on kit.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Yes the trousers and shirts can come from anywhere. The tracksuit is I think optional and seems to have been worn very little but DS was not in any sports teams so maybe a sporty child would use it more. Ds has has never worn his navy lab apron in five years, as he uses the labs stock. It languished at the bottom of his school bag for all of year 7 and has never been seen since!
KB

Post by KB »

Houses indeed allocated at parents meeting.
Check out the second hand stall for some /spare uniform.
Certainly don't get track suit or jumper to start with.
Rugby socks, shorts and PE shorts can be sourced elsewhere ( at least they could up to last year) but check what the proper ones look like to match properly.
Don't spend a fortune on school bag to start with as there is often an in type that they will want once there ( possible Christmas present?)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The jumper is a marmite item. Some boys wear them alot, others not at all. Because of this I have bought most of DS's in good condition from the second hand shop.
The new rugby shorts have a logo. I doubt new year 7 can wear the old plain black ones but the white PE shorts can theoretically be bought anywhere if you can find them!

Although the blazer badge has changed and now comes pre embroidered on the blazer, you can buy just the new badge to sew on to an older style blazer if you wish to buy second hand (we gave DS1s old blazer away last year to someone who did this).
KB

Post by KB »

Certainly don't be concerned about buying decent 2nd hand items. Many boys have family pass downs as well.
One of the advantages of boys lack of interest in such things at thus age is none if the others will notice/care and staff certainly don't- as long as it us smartly worn :)
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Thank you both, thats really useful information.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now