Where to stop ?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

berks_mum

Where to stop ?

Post by berks_mum »

Every time we do a new test we discover topics that are not taught. I wonder when will the time come when we can feel we have covered everything ?
I thought we were done with maths but found 3 areas that we haven't covered -
1) Sets (union, intersection, subset …)
2) Equation of graphs/lines.
3) Bearings

I must say I am surprised that my 9 year old has to study all this. Does it go on like this till the last day ?
parent2013

Re: Where to stop ?

Post by parent2013 »

Sets are defo in scope. There are few Q in Bond small books.
Equations containing x and y to plot graphs - Not common or difficult, one should know.
Bearings - Pl give an example? Is that moving couple of positions on graph?

There are finite 35-40 topics in Maths. However, the questions can vary a lot within these.

DIY parents sometimes think that they know everything and their lack of awareness (or strategy) just add to the stress in children. I am not a big fan of tutoring but I guess this is one area where the tutor must guide i.e. providing all Q types so that there are no "surprises" on the exam day.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I used Bond how to do 11+ maths and the S&S key stage 2 maths revision guide to check we had covered everything and it worked for us.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

parent2013 wrote:Sets are defo in scope. There are few Q in Bond small books.
Equations containing x and y to plot graphs - Not common or difficult, one should know.
A line was plotted and a list of equation was given in the MC list and asked which one is true.
Bearings - Pl give an example? Is that moving couple of positions on graph?
My bad, she knew bearings. Again, it was test4,FPTP, short Numerical reasoning, Q.17

Mary is walking towards her school along a straight path. On what bearing is she walking? Use the compass below to help you.

<Don't know how to draw the figure here>

There are finite 35-40 topics in Maths. However, the questions can vary a lot within these.
Where can find a reliable list of these topics.
DIY parents sometimes think that they know everything and their lack of awareness (or strategy) just add to the stress in children. I am not a big fan of tutoring but I guess this is one area where the tutor must guide i.e. providing all Q types so that there are no "surprises" on the exam day.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Hera wrote:I used Bond how to do 11+ maths and the S&S key stage 2 maths revision guide to check we had covered everything and it worked for us.
Thanks Hera ! If it is not too personal, can I ask which school was this for ? I have read here that some types of questions appear only in some certain schools and others.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I agree with Hera about using the Bond "How to do 11 plus maths" as a way of checking off topics/techniques. We found this book very useful. My DD sat Tiffin Girls and Nonsuch entrance exams (the year before the Sutton consortium came in). She didn't come across anything she hadn't covered. We didn't actually use any Schofield and Sims books at home as my DD was already using these at school in preparation for L6 maths. They did seem to be very good.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

berks_mum wrote:My bad, she knew bearings. Again, it was test4,FPTP, short Numerical reasoning, Q.17

Mary is walking towards her school along a straight path. On what bearing is she walking? Use the compass below to help you.
<Don't know how to draw the figure here>
Bearing - I guess that fall under Maps & Directions... that a person is moving N then E then W on some blocks etc. type.

I am not surprised as there is some Year 8 stuff that have been squeezed into test papers to make it appear harder. I prefer to judge curriculum from the past papers that exactly shows what came in the real exam.

berks_mum - good Q that which school. IMHO about the books -
Bond: "How to do's" are just alright. We did that in beginning of Y4 just to get head around what's what.
I found S&S ok for Y4 and to some extent for CEM but not for super-selectives
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Bearings are also done in year 7 syllabus and they can come in the 11+ super-selectives.

Just knowing directions are adequate and you do not need to do 'how many degrees?' kind of questions
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

parent2013 wrote: Bond: "How to do's" are just alright. We did that in beginning of Y4 just to get head around what's what.
I found S&S ok for Y4 and to some extent for CEM but not for super-selectives
Forgive me but I honestly think some of you are taking the maths studying too far and frightening people! My DD scored highly in the 11 plus and is happily coping with the level of maths in year 7 at Tiffin Girls now she is there. Hina's daughter also gained a place at Tiffin Girls for 2014 I think (sorry Hina if I've got that wrong!). TGS is a superselective and my DD found the maths she had prepared perfectly adequate for the exam.

Especially if you know your child has strong maths ability anyway, I would say the most important thing is to make sure they know how to apply the techniques they have learned, and can problem-solve confidently and logically. The problem-solving, how-do-I-work-out-how-to-approach-it type questions are the ones that throw some children.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Whoops, getting usernames mixed up - it was Hera who posted not Hina. Apologies. Anyway, my point remains the same!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now