Verbs vs adjectives. Urgent tip needed, please.

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Alice73

Verbs vs adjectives. Urgent tip needed, please.

Post by Alice73 »

Verbs vs adjectives. I have tried and tried explaining that the same word can be either a verb or an adjective depending where it stands in a sentence and what's around it. Eg. slamming. I thought my daughter was fine with it now. But yesterday discovered that she still mixes them up. I really need a quick tip on how to tackle it, please. The English test is already tomorrow. But we can still discuss this issue after school today. Many thanks.
Alice
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Try showing her an example of each type, working in a humorous sentence.
May help her to remember, and understand at the same time.
Works with mine, usually. :)

Good Luck, for Tomorrow.

BW
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

Thanks. Will try after school today.
Alice
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Alice73. My son doesn't get this sort of thing either. We looked at an NFER test paper on Sunday and there was a sentence in that said, "The very word sends a shiver down my spine." I explained why "sends" was the verb and not "shiver" but I don't think he understood!

Please don't take this the wrong way, and your daughter is probably made of stronger stuff than my son, but I wouldn't dare try and do any last minute stuff like this the night before a test. If tests get discussed at all the night before in our house it's to boost confidence and remind him about all the things he's good at. Roll on Thursday evening!!

PS But I have asked him every day for the last few days when is the only time there is an apostrophe in its/it's. I think he may finally have got it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now