Camping in the rain

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Camping in the rain

Post by Yamin151 »

Another half term, another camping trip. We love love love it, and have been very lucky with the weather, on the whole. With it persisting down outside today though, my mind is wondering what to do if we are in for a week of it. Any ideas out there?

We don't take any screens
There will be 7 boys, oldest 6 are 8-13, and a younger age 6
Have kayaks so that can happen
Have waterproofs so some outside is fine
Have Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Dixit and general cards
Have a vulgarly large tent amongst the three tents for three families (that would be ours!)

Cotswolds way, money limited.

Ta!
kittymum

Re: Camping in the rain

Post by kittymum »

Oooh yes any tips please! We're off to Edale for 4 nights - 5 kids, 4 adults, 2 dogs!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kittymum wrote:Oooh yes any tips please! We're off to Edale for 4 nights - 5 kids, 4 adults, 2 dogs!

Gorgeous part of there world! I'm afraid our poor dogs don't get to come, too much hassle!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Cannot think of one good thing about camping in the rain...Sorry!

We camp A,LOT and dread it raining. Don't forget your 20p pieces for the camp site tumble drier, or if you are in the sort of camp site we often frequent, with barely a loo, then bin bags for all the wet stuff. 're-think the camp site, opt for a commercial site with a club house, at least you can get in the dry.

For your own sanity, relax the no screens rule if it is going to be really rainy.

Practice telling the children that having iced water in the pub is a treat, as you cannot justify spending £10 on j2o drinks for them as well as your gin, every time you want to warm up.

Thank your lucky stars that you have an obscenely large tent to hide in. Don't spend too long worrying about taking it down in the rain or getting it dry again.

Enjoy, you simply would not be British if you have not tried to enjoy yourselves whilst camping in the rain.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Sat May 24, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:Cannot think of one good thing about camping in the rain...Sorry!

:lol: needs must!

We camp A,LOT and dread it raining. Don't forget your 20p pieces for the camp site tumble drier, or if you are in the sort of camp site we often frequent, with barely a loo, then bin bags for all the wet stuff. 're-think the camp site, opt for a commercial site with a club house, at least you can get in the dry.

We never go for minimalist camping. Huge vulgar tent, filled with all our nice stuff! We ar not hardy at all, maybe that's why you hate it in the rain? Last year the boys spent hours bouncing a large sit on exercise ball around our tent!!

For your own sanity, relax the no screens rule if it is going to he really rainy.

It's a non negotiable I'm afraid, if only because we would also be tempted and I have children who would nag if it were available. It forces us to be more inventive!

Practice telling the children that having iced water in the pub is a treat, as you cannot justify spending £10 on j2o drinks for them as well as your gin, every time you want to warm up.

Ain't that the truth! Camping cocktails packed already, soda and blackcurrants can look remarkably like a j2o!

Thank your lucky stars that you have an obscenely large tent to hide in, Don't spend too long worrying about taking it down in the rain or getting it dry again.

No, a thankless task and always doomed. Conservatory draped in nylon for three weeks afterwards, nerve mind!

Enjoy, you simply would not be British if you have not tried to enjoy yourselves whilst camping in the rain.
Yes indeed! Oh, and we have a fan heater :D
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I have to confess that taking the dog isn't my choice, I was unfairly ambushed into it by DH and (if I'm honest) am still in a bit of a sulk over the whole thing.

I'm pleased it's not just us with the embarrassing sized tent. Our friends have a normal family tent, ours is larger then our house, oh and it has a carpet - something the house doesn't have :lol:

I am not really a rugged type AT ALL. But can just about do camping cheeriness for 4 nights.

I'm confident the weather is going to perk up (failing that will bring a lot of gin and Prosecco).
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

We always take both dogs! Last year I was convinced that we would not need their crates for just a one night trip......never again

The oldest dog, good as gold, the younger dog inched her way towards us until she was practically lying on my head...put back on her bed....begin again....etc. whilst dh snores through in a cider induced coma. Every time a camper dared to get within ten metres of the tent they both jumped up to investigate and give a warning bark. They seem much happier in their crates in the tent t night and I certainly am.

I would not be without them on a UK holiday though, they pull me up the big hills! However they do mean no whole family, castle, museum, gallery, antique shop trips if camping.

Yamin...a fan heater....in a tent! :shock: please tell me you have one of those little rotary airers a fridge and a pop up wardrobe, with organiser pouches too.

I have to admit I take a big fluffy rug, even when we camp in the pop up tent...bit of home comfort, I also have my solar fairy lights, wind flowers and butterflies and take a plastic vase for some flowers on the camp table. :) Dh well trained and knows I need these things to survive!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:We always take both dogs! Last year I was convinced that we would not need their crates for just a one night trip......never again

The oldest dog, good as gold, the younger dog inched her way towards us until she was practically lying on my head...put back on her bed....begin again....etc. whilst dh snores through in a cider induced coma. Every time a camper dared to get within ten metres of the tent they both jumped up to investigate and give a warning bark. They seem much happier in their crates in the tent t night and I certainly am.

I would not be without them on a UK holiday though, they pull me up the big hills! However they do mean no whole family, castle, museum, gallery, antique shop trips if camping.

Yamin...a fan heater....in a tent! :shock: please tell me you have one of those little rotary airers a fridge and a pop up wardrobe, with organiser pouches too.

I have to admit I take a big fluffy rug, even when we camp in the pop up tent...bit of home comfort, I also have my solar fairy lights, wind flowers and butterflies and take a plastic vase for some flowers on the camp table. :) Dh well trained and knows I need these things to survive!

We'll be able to pick you out then SB! Re the dogs, we learnt that lesson too. We don't take the lab anyway as she is a Guide Dog brood so if came into season we would have to hike all way home, not worth the risk, and she gets free 'spa break' at the breeding centre anyway! As for the Jack Russell Terrorist, yes, same thing, the warning barage of barks became old VERY quickly, and the one time we did it without his crate I woke up thinking I was having a heart attack (dog over chest!!)

We are a scruffy and mangy old family, so nothing so organised as a wardrobe, but we do like to be warm! I HAVE to have my ugg-style slippers, a large unsightly fleece, and a plethora of cheap ikea fleece blankets for sitting out, oh, and a hat! Woolly, for the evenings, and night if cold. Our air beds are 2 large singles, each 18 inches deep (I'm not kidding!), still get back ache and a few funny looks carting them in, but SO much more comfortable!

And yes, carpet (with old offcuts for the entrance, so good in the rain!) but your fluffy job sounds pretty good!

Our tent http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Gelert-Morpheus- ... ~60_35.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

This is our tent http://www.tradetalk.com/Product.aspx?P ... Level3=260 :oops:

We are definitely taking the crate - she's a 6 month old border terrier so quite feisty and yappy!

we have a camping fridge - it runs off gas

Yamin where in the Cotswolds do you camp - have been trying to find something small and beautiful out that way.
Last edited by kittymum on Sat May 24, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

kittymum wrote:This is our tent http://www.tradetalk.com/Product.aspx?P ... Level3=260 :oops:

We are definitely taking the crate - she's a 6 month old border terrier so quite feisty and yappy!

we have a camping fridge - it runs off gas
I saw the tiny bit! Yes, we have a fridge too, how else do you keep the pimms cold??? :lol: :lol:

You so need the crate!!