Bum, forgot to boil chick peas!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Bum, forgot to boil chick peas!

Post by Yamin151 »

But from what I can read they are NOT poisonous like red kidney beans. Theya re boiled and cooked to make them soft enough. These have been soaked for 24 hours and now will be roasted (yum, with olive oil and seasoning) to make with wine snacks for as long as makes them soft enough to eat. We won't die will we?
By the way, finished product is yummy
RedVelvet

Re: Bum, forgot to boil chick peas!

Post by RedVelvet »

No idea I buy mine in tins. :oops:

However roasted they are great. My current fave is with a chipotle chilli paste.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

RedVelvet wrote:No idea I buy mine in tins. :oops:

However roasted they are great. My current fave is with a chipotle chilli paste.
Ooh that sounds nice. I roasted mine with chilli, paprika, garlic and cumin. Amazingly my veg averse boys have been wolfing them down!!
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

Sounds lovely - how long and at what temperature please?

And do you end up with a side dish consistency, or hard like the chick peas I remember as a snack in Turkey.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

There's some trick using bicarbonate of soda and a microwave when it comes to soaking pulses. Can't remember it as we buy tins.
vasu

Post by vasu »

Indian trick to boiling chickpea : Soak overnight in warm water. Pressure cook or boil for 45mins in salted water, a tea bag and whole spices(cinnamon, cardamom, star aniseed and bay leaf). Cook it the way your heart desires.
I avoid tins. The brine just clings to the chickpeas no matter how much you wash them.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Was looking up brine in canned chick peas to see if they all had it...mine don't btw and came across this, which has reference to tinkers baking soda tip embedded in the humus recipe.

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/11/ ... anned.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;