How do YOU pronounce .......

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

How do YOU pronounce .......

Post by Snowdrops »

Regional variations can produce several ways of pronouncing words, this is fun and what makes each region unique.

Tonight, though, I heard Ellie Harrison on Countryfile say a town name the way it's spelt rather than the way I've heard people say it, no matter which region/town they were from. It made me wonder which was the correct way to say it (and I must say, it's the ONLY time I've ever heard it said the way it's spelt!).

The word is Shrewsbury. I have always, always, always heard it pronounced Shrowsbury (hubby agrees with me, from listening to many hours of football results :lol: :lol: )

So, help me out with this and ask away if you have anything you want clarifying :D
Yamin151

Re: How do YOU pronounce .......

Post by Yamin151 »

I say it the same way as you.

Here is one --- Alcester.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Towcester. Bicester. Alnwick. Slaithwaite.

And in this house hold, Bath, Given that I'm a yorkies living with two southerners. A lot of discussion goes on about how to pronounce words and even what they should be called.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Snowdrops wrote:Regional variations can produce several ways of pronouncing words, this is fun and what makes each region unique.

Tonight, though, I heard Ellie Harrison on Countryfile say a town name the way it's spelt rather than the way I've heard people say it, no matter which region/town they were from. It made me wonder which was the correct way to say it (and I must say, it's the ONLY time I've ever heard it said the way it's spelt!).

The word is Shrewsbury. I have always, always, always heard it pronounced Shrowsbury (hubby agrees with me, from listening to many hours of football results :lol: :lol: )

So, help me out with this and ask away if you have anything you want clarifying :D
I have always said it that way, but I was corrected once, by someone who came from there, that only 'posh' people call it Shrowsbury.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yamin151 wrote:Here is one --- Alcester.
Bane of my life correcting Brummies with this! You don't say War-ces-ter or Less-ces-ter, so why oh why do they insist on saying Ul-ces-ter?? :roll:

JD
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:
Bane of my life correcting Brummies with this! You don't say War-ces-ter or Less-ces-ter, so why oh why do they insist on saying Ul-ces-ter?? :roll:

JD
They even correct me, or at least mispronounce even after I don't. And as for the actual Kings C-------- we live in......!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

And while I'm ranting, Sally Traffic on radio 2 insists on pronouncing that fine regency town as Chelt-en-ham! Does my nut in - surely the locals must have complained?? :shock:

JD
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yamin151 wrote:
JamesDean wrote:

JD
They even correct me, or at least mispronounce even after I don't. And as for the actual Kings C-------- we live in......!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, that's a fun one, Yamin!
Warks must be pretty high on the 'don't-pronounce-it-as-you-read-it' list of place names - Kinwarton / Kineton anyone?

JD
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Olney....(oney..reporters often say it wrong on an annual basis during the famous pancake race)

Fawley....foy

Beaconsfield.....beckonsfield...(but posh old time locals pronounce the beacon, along with annoying reporters, even though the film studios are there)

Thame...tame, that never even occured to me until a friend stayed and pronounced it incorrectly.

My brother says Shrewsbury since he has lived close by and goes fishing a lot with old boys. I wonder when it's change evolved?

You have to feel for the Welsh though....!
Last edited by southbucks3 on Sun May 25, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Slaithwaite is pronounced Slawit :lol:

Todmorden, I was told many years ago by a local, is pronounced Tommaden.

See, sooooooo many words :roll: