North London Collegiate sample papers

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kingfisher

North London Collegiate sample papers

Post by Kingfisher »

The school is no longer part of the consortium. Sample 11 plus papers have now been posted up which will be of interest for those applying next year.

The English is very interesting - much more is required in terms of commenting on technical and structural features as well as more inference. This is going to be a real differentiator.

What do you think?

http://www.nlcs.org.uk/541/admissions/entry-at-11-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leanmeamum

Re: North London Collegiate sample papers

Post by leanmeamum »

The Maths paper is an old Consortium paper.

The English is quite interesting as it requires the child to be much more analytic of the text - much higher level compared to before
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I absolutely love the English. Right up my street! It is lovely to see more focus on responding to the figurative language of the passage rather than questions about the characters and plot. This is a terrific paper to test real understanding of Creative writing. A shame that the writer of the paper can't spell behaviour (behavior)! I am delighted to see a "continue the story" for the creative writing as in my opinion this is a lot more challenging than simply having a picture or a short title to work from. The Maths is just consortium questions so it was the English that they were unhappy about in the Consortium. I have already written three papers on Tom Sawyer, so lovely to sit it being used as the Comprehension but Mr Gove would of course not approve as he is trying to get " To Kill a Mockingbird" removed from the GCSE syllabus on the basis that it is not British. It is great to see a school put such a focus on English. I can't wait for this exam and the results! DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Daogroupie...don't get me started on Gove...!!! It appears that he wants to get rid of Mockingbird as "he doesn't like it"...I have news for you, Mr Gove...I'm not that keen on you and your meddling, either! And it goes further - he has stated he wants English texts...so appears to have ruled out Irish/Scottish writers too - some of the most amazing poetry at risk...

But back to the original topic...it certainly looks like a throwback type entrance test - a throwback to the type of things we were exposed to at school and I am all for that, as actually, this is the type of assessment which really will sort the "men from the boys" so to speak!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

This is actually much more like the way they approach English in class at NLCS. I think they'll look for girls who present the counter-arguement as well in the last section. Again, this is encouraged at the school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very exciting stuff. Bravo. I wonder if it will spur City into doing their own papers? Any idea why they didn't change the Maths? Were they happy with the Maths papers from the Consortium? DG
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

I think the maths wasn't such a problem in the Consortium paper. Very few got 100% (DD1 was one of only a handful and she was an internal candidate) as it was designed to award marks for each element of the longer questions. They are really looking to see how the girls think.
The new English paper is also interesting because some of its elements are things that used to come up in the interviews- can't say more than that- so, this will act as a filter before the 2nd stage.

BTW- 'behavior' is the American spelling. Some girls may pick up on that if they are widely read.....hint!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, I know it is the American spelling. I lived in America for six years so had to use that spelling in documents. But this is an English school posting a sample English paper on their website. So this is a spelling mistake. No English teacher is going to have done this deliberately. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Daogroupie...don't get me started on Gove...!!! It appears that he wants to get rid of Mockingbird as "he doesn't like it"...
And in defence of Mr. Gove, from Mr. Gove himself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-27586376" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seem that he wanted reading to be broadened, not just restricted to 'Of Mice and Men'. Exam Boards have their own interpretation of what broadening means. :lol: :lol:
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

The new NLCS Sample English paper is very similar to the established Henrietta Barnett School paper.

The HBS paper actually offers a broader challenge with, normally, more 'respond to the writing' type challenges without detailed prompts. This is expected to be strengthened with HBS reverting to four test papers in a two stage format; there will again be more time to explore appreciation of literature and quality of original writing.

There remain four concerns about the NLCS format and content. Firstly, there is still no NVR, the only reliable identifier of intellectual potential, as opposed to social upbringing and groomed academic accomplishment. (HBS dropped NVR recently for political reasons and that is a shame.) Secondly, the 'continue the story' type question has been set pretty much every year for too long and is too predictable and too easy to prepare for; it rewards preparation rather than identifying potential. And there is no computerised marking; in other words, it's all subjective. Finally, overall the new exams will favour (private) prep school and socially equivalent candidates, making it even harder for girls from state schools, especially in 'ordinary' areas, to receive offers.

There will be no impact on NLCS's internal prep school 'candidates' as these are, and will continue to be, well prepared anyway. NLCS know who they want to keep and why and they know how to move the others out.

The new English entrance exam at NLCS is an assertion of NLCS's power in their sector. On a personal note, we found the Consortium English paper fairly easy and the Consortium Maths quite hard, unusual for private schools. But this Maths exam may well change a bit as well in a couple of years. ... Who knows, they may even introduce NVR in some form?

I wonder how much NLCS was influenced by the independence of Habs Girls and St Paul's Girls, perhaps their greatest competitors beyond HBS. Habs currently has a written VR Exam and St Paul's a computerised VR and NVR Exam.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now