Dartford Grammar for Boys- Music and Oriental languages

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Dartford Grammar for Boys- Music and Oriental languages

Post by salsa »

Hi all, calling all parents with children at Dartford Grammar.

We are so happy that our son has got a place at the school! I have now got a lot of forms to fill in and I cannot decide about whether to put him on a one to one music lesson, in twos or after school in a bigger group. At the moment he does one to one at school. They take him out of the classroom, but it has never been an issue from the academic point of view. I worry a bit as to how it would work at DGS. Any opinions? I also worry that if I do not put him now on a one to one lesson that it would be harder later on as there won't be any spaces?

On the Oriental languages issue, what do you think would be more useful? Mandarin or Japanese? If you are taught one, can you still study the other later?

Many thanks!
bondgirl

Re: Dartford Grammar for Boys- Music and Oriental languages

Post by bondgirl »

Hi salsa. Fantastic news!!! DS is in Y7 and loves it at DGS. He has one to one music lessons and missing lesson time doesn't cause too many problems - I'm sure he would complain loudly if it did. His teacher changes the music lesson time so he doesn't miss the same lesson each week. There are lots of music activities to choose form - DS is in R n B band, concert orchestra and junior choir. He's also in a band with some of his friends - they rehearse in one of the music rooms at lunchtime.

We didn't express a preference regarding the language options. DS studies Japanese and loves it. In Y8 the boys choose either Latin or a modern European language - DS has opted for German. I think they may be able to study a new language ab initio in sixth form as part of the IB (but you'd need to check that) so it might be possible to do Mandarin and Japanese.

Please feel free to ask me anything else. Well done to your DS :D
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi Bondgirl,
Thank you for the informative reply. So glad to hear your son is enjoying school so much. Yes, I called them and they said he could start the other oriental language from scratch which is fabulous!

We are so happy as DGS does seem a brilliant school.
Blametheparents

Post by Blametheparents »

My son is in Year 8 at DGS and has been studying Chinese, which he really enjoys.
The language is taught well and he finds it interesting. There has been help at lunchtimes recently for those students that wish to prepare for their end of year oral exam.

I am sure Japanese would be a great choice too.

I hope your son enjoys DGS :-)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi Blametheparents,

Thanks for this information. I do not know what they will allocate, but my son says he would like both, so maybe he will take the other oriental language for the IB. He may have changed his mind by then!

I'm glad to hear your son is enjoying DGS, my son is so excited! My husband is equally excited about the whole rugby situation. He is giving him a crash course which my son is enjoying. I worry a bit about him getting crushed!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now