Has any one got a daughter already at Chelmsford County High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum 1

Has any one got a daughter already at Chelmsford County High

Post by mum 1 »

Could anyone who has already got a daughter at Chelmsford County High give me their opinion on the school and tell me how much homework my daughter would be expected to do in year 7?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks
Essex Girl

CCHS

Post by Essex Girl »

Sorry for butting in on this one as I don't have children there but do see my last post re secondary allocations for a few comments on the above school.

Apparently, the homework level is not too bad (if you are very bright and very quick) but I will leave it to others to make more useful comments.

Re: Has any one got a daughter already at Chelmsford County

Post by Guest »

mum 1 wrote:Could anyone who has already got a daughter at Chelmsford County High give me their opinion on the school and tell me how much homework my daughter would be expected to do in year 7?

My daughter is going there in September as well. Having spoken to someone whose daughter is already there, the homework is manageable. To be honest, I think it will be a bit of a shock at first (for my daughter anyway!) as she will have regular homework, probably every night. I am going to encourage her to do the homework on the day she gets it (if possible). My son has always done that (he is lower sixth at Westcliff now) and it has worked well for him. In terms of the school itself, I have heard that it has a nice atmosphere and the girls are encouraged to be confident and articulate. If you look on the school's website, there is newsletters there that will give you an idea of the kind of things the different years do.
mum 1

Post by mum 1 »

Anonymous wrote:
mum 1 wrote:Could anyone who has already got a daughter at Chelmsford County High give me their opinion on the school and tell me how much homework my daughter would be expected to do in year 7?

My daughter is going there in September as well. Having spoken to someone whose daughter is already there, the homework is manageable. To be honest, I think it will be a bit of a shock at first (for my daughter anyway!) as she will have regular homework, probably every night. I am going to encourage her to do the homework on the day she gets it (if possible). My son has always done that (he is lower sixth at Westcliff now) and it has worked well for him. In terms of the school itself, I have heard that it has a nice atmosphere and the girls are encouraged to be confident and articulate. If you look on the school's website, there is newsletters there that will give you an idea of the kind of things the different years do.
Thank you for your reply. My daughter's surname is at the bottom of the alphabet, what about your daughter's? The reason why I asked was because they might be in the same class. Is she going to the netball or hockey coures? My daughter is going to them both.

I hope I hear from you soon.
mum 1

Post by mum 1 »

mum 1 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your reply. My daughter's surname is at the bottom of the alphabet, what about your daughter's? The reason why I asked was because they might be in the same class. Is she going to the netball or hockey coures? My daughter is going to them both.

I hope I hear from you soon.

P.S. Is there anyone else out there who has a daughter starting at CCHS in September?

Post by Guest »

I'm afraid our surname is near the top of the alphabet! Yes, she is going on both courses - I think it is a really good way for them to get to know other girls prior to the starting in September (and they have the visiting day on 29th June). It would be good to hear from other parents whose daughter is going there.

Does anyone know what the cut off was for CCHSG? I heard it was around 170.
mum 1

Post by mum 1 »

Anonymous wrote:I'm afraid our surname is near the top of the alphabet! Yes, she is going on both courses - I think it is a really good way for them to get to know other girls prior to the starting in September (and they have the visiting day on 29th June). It would be good to hear from other parents whose daughter is going there.

Thanks for coming back. Its a shame they aren't in the same class. Does your daughter know anyone who will be in her class, from her school? My daughter has two others from her school, but she is keen to make fresh friends.

But the inductions are going to break the ice for them.

Don't know the cut off score.

Bye for now

Post by Guest »

mum 1 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I'm afraid our surname is near the top of the alphabet! Yes, she is going on both courses - I think it is a really good way for them to get to know other girls prior to the starting in September (and they have the visiting day on 29th June). It would be good to hear from other parents whose daughter is going there.

Thanks for coming back. Its a shame they aren't in the same class. Does your daughter know anyone who will be in her class, from her school? My daughter has two others from her school, but she is keen to make fresh friends.

But the inductions are going to break the ice for them.

Don't know the cut off score.

Bye for now

At least your daughter knows 2 other girls! My daughter was the only one that got in so she won't know anyone. Saying that, she is very good a mixing and is not worried at all on that score. It is good for them to make new friends. Yes, I am hoping she will come back from the inductions with several names of girls that she has befriended. Good luck to your daughter.

Post by Guest »

hi sorry to break into this chat!!! i've been looking into the homework situation myself, and have found that the girls have homework every night in this year7 and it takes them about 2-3 hours judging by the parents i have spoken to....however they did say that the girls often do more than is required of them as they get so involved in the projects being given...hope this is of some use

Post by Guest »

My daughter is starting CCHS in September, surname beginning with "J". She too is going to the netball and the hockey. She knows a few that also gained places and also knows some girls already there. None seemed phased by the homework. It certainly doesn't take any of them 3 hours a night to do, perhaps an hour or more.

She is really looking forward to making new friends!