23 November 2007 - Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

burney

23 November 2007 - Results

Post by burney »

Hi All

I would like to thank you all for your comments/advice which I have been reading with great interest.

My son sat the test this morning and to be honest he was quite optimistic about his performance. He said the first test had some questions of a type he hadn't seen before but he managed to figure out what to do and completed the test with time to spare and the second paper was very similar to those he had practiced and had no difficulty completing this either. He said he had done his best which is all I can ask for and I am very proud of him for undergoing such an ordeal at 10 years of age!

My question is whether anybody has any idea what the results will indicate. I have heard different opinions as to what they will reveal but was hoping for a firm idea.

Many thanks
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Can only tell you what I've heard-also spoke to the Choice Advisor re what the letter is going to say!
Pates-letter will state if you are in the top 150 children who have taken test.
Tommies-advisor said that letter will give you the standardised score(although she was not 100% on this,she though t that due to the Freedom of Information Act they couldn't withold it!)
Crypt-same as above,will be given standardised score.

Score for Tommies will be lower than Crypt due to it being marked against the cohort who took the test.Whether we will be any the wiser after getting the letter-we still won't know how many have actually passed will we?

Glosmum
Stroud Mum

Post by Stroud Mum »

There are some other posts on this subject, it seems to depend on whether it is an LEA controlled Grammar, eg Tommies, Denmark Rd or a foundation grammar eg Marling, Stroud High. At the info evening at Stroud High I was told that if your daughter is in the top ranked 120 you will just be told she has "passed" but if she is out of the top 120 you will also be given her rank. I guess this is so you can decide whether to include the school on the preference form perhaps hoping you get a place off the waiting list. Unless you get the rank I don't think the score alone is enough to know if you're "safe" or not.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the replies.

Like you said, a standardized score alone is not really any help in deciding whether or not your child will gain a place - it would depend on how everybody else did. I am hoping therefore that there will be some kind of ranking system for Crypt/Tommies otherwise results or not I am not really any the wiser!
Stroud Mum

Post by Stroud Mum »

Seems madness that there is so much variation in the system.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Our only advantage seems to be that if a grammar school is placed as 1st choice and we don't get it,our 2nd choice becomes 1st choice-which was not the case last year.
I am definitely not confident after what DS has been coming out with today!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Have been trying to find out exactly what these letters are going to say!
The choice advisor at the LA is in the process of confirming what each schools' letter will say and has promised to email me tomorrow-so I will let you know...

Post by Guest »

That would be great if you could let me know...I don't know about anybody else but this week is going sooooooooo slowly and I suspect next week will be the same! Roll on the 23rd...!
Stroud Mum

Post by Stroud Mum »

I have been told by Stroud High that you will get a letter with score and indication of rank - either in or out of top 120 - or a letter to say they have not passed. Ribston are just giving out the score, so what use that will be (unless to say "fail") I don't know. I would have thought the Council could have got them to all agree a common system. By the way the choice advisor is excellent. DD is perky and full of hope. I am very, very gloomy; these are the slowest 2 weeks of my life - I have been spending more time on this forum than at work!

Post by Guest »

I agree, I am spending an inordinate amount of time in this forum hoping to glean any small amount of information about how others fared in the test or news of the result format etc etc etc and all the time watching the clock but I have a horrid feeling I will be none the wiser after the 23rd!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now