LEA PACK

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CLAIR

LEA PACK

Post by CLAIR »

My daughter attends a school in Wallasey and only started on the familiarization pack this month. How many practice booklets should their be?
Her school head teacher is being very obstructive when trying to gain information. He also said she cannot take it home.
Bebmum

Post by Bebmum »

Hi Clair

My daughter brought her familiarisation pack home just before half term after they had been through it in school. There was one paper in it with samples for each question in the paper. There was also an instruction booklet which gave explanations for each answer. I think there were 88 questions in the paper.

Is your daughter not allowed to take it home after they have finished working through it?

Bebmum :)
CLAIR

Post by CLAIR »

NO, he said i could not have it, it needs to be sent back. i also asked for a photocopy, this also cannot be done. :?:
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Clair,

We were also told we couldn't have the pack as it needed to be sent back.

If I were doing it again this year I would phone or go to the local education office and ask for your copy. I would state other schools have allowed their pupils to take the pack home but your school has refused this. So instead you have come in to claim yours.

All pupils sitting the 11+ are supposed to be issued them and if yours hasn't I would be kicking up a stink.

I know next time I go through this I will be.

Let us know how you get on.

AM
CLAIR

LEA PACK

Post by CLAIR »

Ihave called Hamilton buildings to try and get a pack. Spoke to PAT ISLAND. She said you cannot purchase them, our head teacher has it and thats that. When prodding she informed me she won't comment on the head teachers actions. I seem to be running into alot of walls. :x
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

If you register, I will PM you.

Perhaps somebody from this forum will have one at home they could photocopy and send to you. I will ask around also..

I do think it’s very unfair that some children will have them and others won't.

AM
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Clair,

I have rang around and managed to track down this years (Probably the same as last years.) familiarisation pack. If you register and private message me your address I will photocopy it and put it in the post for you tomorrow.

Good Luck!

AM
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Clair,

I have this years familiarisation pack you can have if you want.

My son's school just sent it home with him, unopened, for him to do at home. Can't understand where your daughters school are sending them back to, or why?

It contains just a booklet with sections of questions much like the nfer papers you buy. Although they contain all 21 types of questions and a note for parents/teachers on how to help the children complete the different types. Meant to be gone through at different times, my son just did them in one go to practice his speed. To be honest we didn't find it much help as the questions seemed a lot easier than other practice papers. I think the idea of them is to help the children with the methods, I thought it was too late to start learning methods at this point.

Anyway you're welcome to it, although as they have their first proper practice on Thursday (Do they all have them at the same time?) I don't feel it will be much use.

Good Luck.

Scatshouse.
Pensby

Post by Pensby »

Hello Clair
I agree with Scatshouse,my son went through the paper in school with the teacher,though he said it didnt' help much!

He also said the paper was easier than the practice ones and the only advantage I can see is it contains all the 21 types of questions.

Your daughter should be doing a practice in school tomorrow,as Scatshouse said so I'm sure that will be more use to her!

Goodluck ,and nice to see a new face on here,where does your daughter want to go?

Pensby :lol:
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

My daughter came home with her Familiarisation pack only today. They have had various sessions at school to go over this with the children and now they have completed this then she has brought it home.
She has the first practice test tomorrow and the letter from the head stated that the results of these Practice tests would not be given as they are to be sent back to the LEA. (useful hey!)
Anyway I think she has almost reached saturation point now and I'm a little worried as I seem to have reached a bit of a lull myself. Wondering whether I should be more intense about the whole thing which I have previously been. She is getting good marks on the tests and I guess it is just keeping up the momentum now.
Think I'll probably just have a sudden panic attack the day before (hopefully I will hide this from her)

Incidentally my daughter's school has 18 children taking it this year! Previous years have been 8 ish. I think with more understanding of the equal preference system has led to more people "giving it a go"(lower risk etc.)

Anyway we are all nearly there. Hope it all goes well for everyone.