11+ Super Selective Maths Book on Amazon

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
isis

11+ Super Selective Maths Book on Amazon

Post by isis »

Just wondering if anyone has used this series before and would they recommend?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/11-Super-Select ... tive+maths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Re: 11+ Super Selective Maths Book on Amazon

Post by tiffinboys »

isis wrote:Just wondering if anyone has used this series before and would they recommend?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/11-Super-Select ... tive+maths" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Haven't used but sounds interesting.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I just had a look and was so impressed I ordered it! So will let you know shortly. The Maths papers for our local selectives are now beyond what you would learn in primary school so there is a need for this type of material. DG
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

I can only see the front and back covers so can't make a comment on the contents. If anyone has used it, I would love to know their views on it
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

IMHO it's missing the point. For Maths you need to cover the material for KS2 not some abstract clever level beyond.

The issue with the selective tests is you should expect them to cover all KS2 material including Year 6 work (and given that the tests themselves are taken at the start of Yr6 you need to ensure you have covered the topics they will be learning after the test!)

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Perhaps this is the case for Surrey, but certainly not the case in North London. Top table top set Maths students will not have learnt some of the topics that will come up. DG
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Yes North London schools have topics bordering on KS3 for the super-selective schools.

My son even did Pythagorus theorem, Simultaneous equations (including the hared ones) in his set at school so it is not unheard of in our parts
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have now received the book and it will be very useful for students already on Level Six maths and those who are finding KS2 material very easy. DG
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Daogroupie wrote:Perhaps this is the case for Surrey, but certainly not the case in North London. Top table top set Maths students will not have learnt some of the topics that will come up. DG
Yeap. And this is the Surrey section.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Isis - If you are asking generally about maths preparation, then perhaps this thread would be more useful in the Maths section, rather than Surrey. Maths content is different in each area. For example there is currently no maths component in the Tiffin (Boys) entrance exam.