WCGS Second round test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ladymuck

WCGS Second round test

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agathachristie

Re: WCGS Second round test

Post by agathachristie »

Very interesting I see they are adopting Tiffin Girls second stage format. wonder if the other boys schools will follow suit??? or indeed the girls schools will adopt this format..??
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Tiffin Girls' had three separate papers in the second stage exam: creative writing, reading comprehension and maths. I wonder when Tiffin will follow TGS and the Sutton schools and adopt a second stage.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Looks like Sutton Grammars Consortium would soon become Surrey Grammars consortium, rivaling CEM.

Also looks to me as if most of these schools would pattern their 2nd stage tests on the TGS model. As long as these tests are done in time for results to be given before CAF, it would be lovely and meeting the spirit of the requirements.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The schools will continue to set their own preferred papers as they have always done (eg Sutton Grammar will look for 2 different pieces of creative writing in 45 minutes, Wallington has reintroduced comprehension, and Wilsons like to try to surprise).
I think that's where the convergence will happen over time as the cost constraints become even harder to bear.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I find it absolutely extraordinary that they actually have to warn parents about boys learning creative writing topics and then writing about them in the exam even if the topic is totally different. This must be a real problem if they feel the need to actually use space mentioning it in what is very little information about the exam. DG
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Peridot wrote:Tiffin Girls' had three separate papers in the second stage exam: creative writing, reading comprehension and maths. I wonder when Tiffin will follow TGS and the Sutton schools and adopt a second stage.
Last years format had the comprehension and the writing linked... i.e. the writing was related to the comprehension. I believe the idea was that you had to continue the scenario described in the comprehension on into a story. IMHO that was a great idea... somewhat alleviates crammed pupils regurgitating one of a set of stock stories they had learnt.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is called continue the story and is the format used by Dame Alice Owen's, North London Consortium, Habs Girls and many others. As you say it is a really good way of preventing students from preparing a stock answer as students have to use the characters from the comprehension and not the ones that have been taught to them. I have written 80 continue the story comprehension papers and it is very interesting how very easy it is to trip students up when creating the instructions for continue the story. Small key words embedded in lots of text that they miss sending them off in the wrong direction. In my opinion this is the format that identifies the strongest candidates. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now