Help !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hajra

Help !

Post by Hajra »

My nephew has an appeals hearing on Friday 13th and he is currently number 6th on the camphill Birmingham waiting list. Is it true that if we lose the appeal we will also lose our place on the waiting list. Have not heard this anywhere before ! Any information will be most welcome !!
rabbie burns

Re: Help !

Post by rabbie burns »

I would assume appeals and waiting lists are seperate and do not effect each other. I cannot see any reason why they should be linked in any way. I am interested though on the basis of an appeal for a particular school when the child scored high enough to be 6th on the waiting list at camp hill, meaning they must hold an offer for another excellent school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looks like he has a good place elsewhere but understandably nice to try for the nearer school:
Hajra wrote:Hi all, my nephew has missed camphill by 4 points . He has been offered a place at five ways ( brilliant !) but as they live walking distance from camphill would like to appeal. Can they accept five ways and appeal to camphill at the same time? Can somebody please enlighten as to what they should do ... Thank you all :?
rabbie burns

Post by rabbie burns »

I understand wanting your local school but am just interested on what an appeal would be based, because he clearly did really well and the locality of the school should not be relevant. I thought in Birmingham the test was paramount and appeals were mainly from children who were ill etc and scored unexpectedly quite low. Obviously I am wrong. As you can tell I find the appeals culture quite frustrating because hundreds of children "underperform" every year and their parents just move on.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Totally agree.

DS2 did poorly in the Birmingham exam so was not able to join his brother at KEFW. Tutor wanted us to appeal as his mark was unexpectedly low when compared to others in his group. Personally didn't see any real justification to appeal it. I am puzzled as to why, and on what grounds, some appeals are made.