parmiter's on distance

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
watmum

parmiter's on distance

Post by watmum »

Can any body shed any light on how far the distance criteria spreads for Parmiters and realistically, how far out, is too far out to gain a place on distance these days?

Post by Guest »

Unless you live within a mile and it is your closest school you have no chance.

Lots of people apply on this rule but actually live closer to Francis Combe
WP

Post by WP »

Anonymous wrote:Unless you live within a mile and it is your closest school you have no chance.

Lots of people apply on this rule but actually live closer to Francis Combe
I don't know what the distance is, but one mile gets you into Leavesden, and that would soak up the places quickly. Whatever it is, it will be a little better this year, as there will be an extra 18 places on distance that were taken off the test proportion by the adjudicator.

But distance to other schools does not come into it. Parmiter's will rank applicants on distance from their school only. As that's what they say in their published arrangements, to do otherwise would be to set up successful appeals.
watmum

Post by watmum »

thank you for your comments. I noted on the parmiter's website that they say they use "our designated measuring system", I wondered whether this is the same as the Herts CC messuring system where they take into acccount lit pathways with tarmac etc, and use the shortest safe walking route. I was told a couple of years ago that Parmiters measure "as the crow flies" i.e in a straight line from their door to yours, but I am inlcined to think that maybe this was in the "olden days!". My guess would be that the measurement system is all tied up with computers and postcodes!!

Can anyone shed any light?
watmum

parmiter's on distance

Post by watmum »

I am just "bumping " this up the queue a bit, as it has got lost down the line! does anyone have any more information to share?
WatfordParent

Post by WatfordParent »

Watmum,

To be realistic distance should not be more than 500-600 metres I suppose.

Sorry to ask you one more question. Do you have any idea if the schools will contact parents to submit any proofs on address? If yes, then when will this be?
tense

Post by tense »

Watford parent

As I understand it, Herts CC can easily check proof of address. Playground gossip suggests that some secondary schools ask the relevant primary too. Parmiter's asked for proof of address with the application but I think this is just to deter "cheats" - there are far more reliable ways of checking.

Not sure what the cut off date is for those moving house (just curious if this applied to you?) but you'll find the answer on the Herts CC website.
WatfordParent

Post by WatfordParent »

We are living in the same place from past two years - so I am not particularly worried about cut off date for moving house. As Tense said, even I have heard that the schools use primary, council etc to check the address. But just was curious if we parents are expected to submit any docs at any time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now