Assessment without national curriculum levels

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Assessment without national curriculum levels

Post by mystery »

Anyone got any idea how their school is going to do this next year onwards?

Some schools seem to be saying they are keeping levels. How can you do this if the new curriculum does not specify what constitutes each level in that subject?

Anyone got any idea how results will be reported for the new year 6 tests (current year 4 will be first to take them) e.g. Will children get a percentage correct, or a grade of some sort? They are only two years away now so it can't still be completely unplanned?
Guest55

Re: Assessment without national curriculum levels

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... untability" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mystery - this was published three montha ago.
Manana

Post by Manana »

Guest55 wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... untability

Mystery - this was published three montha ago.
That's interesting. It says that instead of reporting NC levels, the results will be expressed by the performance descriptor that the child most closely meets. Have the performance descriptors been released?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Exactly! What is the performance descriptor?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks g55. I read the original consultation doc but had missed this.

Need to read it again but is the performance descriptor along the lines of exceeding what is required to be ss ready at end of year 6, meeting the standard and falling behind?

I quite liked the logic in that paper. It would unearth and address some of the problems there have been in using ks2 data to compare schools.

I am unclear how a school could choose to continue assessing with nc levels. That really does not make sense. Some schools are saying they will continue with levels aren't they?

Has anyone's school said anything yet ? Ours has not.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I would like to see a paper addressing the fundamental question of why we feel we need to assess children all the time, instead of looking at new ways to do it and what to do with the data we have collected. I was talking to a doctor the other day who is thinking of resigning from her job as a GP as she says the 'data is driving the job' now. Where else have we heard this?

Sorry, as you were.
mystery

Post by mystery »

This paper certainly isn't what you want but it is a step in that direction as it is saying there will be external testing at the end of primary and it is up to schools how they assess along the way.

What I am wondering is what individual schools are planning on and how the schools who are saying they will continue with levels are going to do so.

On another thread Moved had some professional knowledge of this.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Well if as you say the latest tranche of rules permits schools to assess as they see fit, presumably they are allowed to continue to assess using levels if they so wish.
Manana

Post by Manana »

mystery wrote:I am unclear how a school could choose to continue assessing with nc levels.
The school I teach at are continuing with levels for the foreseeable future.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

according to our head teacher, there is nothing written down yet about the new system, expected in September!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now