CGP level six books

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
berks_mum

CGP level six books

Post by berks_mum »

Has anyone tried CGP level6 maths books - workbook and practice papers ? Am I better off buying CGP 11+ Maths books (assessment and practice papers) instead ?
mystery

Re: CGP level six books

Post by mystery »

I have bought some of the cgp primary level 6 maths books. I haven't used them yet. I don't think I will get round to using them until year 6 - they look ok. What were you wanting them for?

If it is 11 plus c e m exam prep I wouldn't think they are relevant.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks Mystery.

I wanted the levels 6 books for two reasons :

a) DD seems a bit stalled in school
I was told DD is working at level 5B and over since last term but the school hasn't started anything new this term. They are doing the basics again(addition, subtraction) in their year 6 books for the year 6 teachers' assessment.
Only one girl in set1 gets extension questions every lesson. My DD is in set 3 BTW.

b) To make sure I am covering everything required for GS entrance.
Are they irrelevant because CEM is multiple choice and the problems in level 6 book are more long maths type ?

ps. DD will sit CEM exams no others in September. Separate maths paper will probably be in January.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I get the impression that level 6 work is not needed for the c e m exams people talk about on here but it can't do any harm either if you have time to do it alongside your c e m prep. I find that doing something new and harder can be a good way of revising and consolidating the easier stuff without getting bored.

What is the separate maths paper you are preparing for which is in January? Primary level 6 work might be useful for that.

Sorry the maths at school seems to have stalled. How come a 5b in spring of year 5 only gets you into the third set? What were the first two sets?
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Sorry the maths at school seems to have stalled. How come a 5b in spring of year 5 only gets you into the third set? What were the first two sets?
mystery, came across this thread while searching for some information and noted that I forgot to answer this one. I can think of two reasons :

1) This was a new school for her so they have put her in the lower set.
2) May be all the three sets(form1 +form2) work at same level.

She told me that this year she is in the top(big group) maths set. May be 15-16 DCs according to her estimation.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hope your bucks exam has gone / does go well.

I will be getting out my level 6 books this term I reckon as I can't detect any glimmers of any new maths being taught this term at school. Dc was 5b for latter end of year 5. Pace was an issue in our 11 plus just gone but there is nothing in the way that school teaches that would address this.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks mystery. I am sure your DD will come out with flying colours. Come results day you will be celebrating.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I really don't know, but thanks for saying that. Was just pleased she came out feeling good and had not panicked. Bad exam experiences can stick with you --- but this is no indicator whatsoever of her score.