CEM Topics

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

richard20

CEM Topics

Post by richard20 »

Hi. My eldest daughter is in a GS having been successfully tutored through the 'old' VR exam. I went back to the same tutor for my twins. The exam has now switched to a CEM exam and I feel a lot of the topics the tutor is covering are not really likely to come up on the CEM exam. This is leading to a lot of work and not so much learning.

Can anyone tell me are the following topics likely to appear on the new CEM exam -

MATHS
Complementary, Supplementary, Corresponding and Alternate Angles
Probability
Division of fractions

ENGLISH
Colons and Semi-Colons
Concord
Prepositions
Phrases, Compound and Complex Sentences - Connectives and Conjunctions

VR
Type 32 - coding
Types 2,4,5,21 - linking words
Type 16 - letter pairs
Type 19 - numbers and brackets

I've also been told to do the NVR with my children myself at home as it only represents 10% of the marks?!?

Any help would be appreciated as I am now thinking about switching tutor.
Yamin151

Re: CEM Topics

Post by Yamin151 »

Our tutor did all of that for CEM, but mainly he just did a wide range of maths and English questions that supported my twins work through the school curriculum, with some practice at the stuff that doesn't occur at school like the coding, sequences, nvr etc
I really wouldn't take bets on the weighting, many were caught out by that last year and fell foul, I really think you should work on everything over a year and you'll find that you will have prepared children who are also strongly supported in their curriculum work.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Richard I have private messaged you.
KCG
meldan103

Post by meldan103 »

I was wondering the same. I"m about to start home tutoring to my dd and don't really know where to start. She is an avid reader so gojng to start on vocabulary.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Start by reading the sticky at the top of the Birmingham section "CEM preparation". Also look at other sections on here that use CEM eg Bucks, Warks, Gloucester as there is loads of information available.
richard20

Post by richard20 »

Hi, thank you for all the advice, it is very useful and I am in the process of checking out the various threads and links suggested.

I have spoken to the current tutor and was told there were still a lot more topics to cover and received some conflicting advice on the amount of time the children should be spending studying each week. I am switching tutors to someone who seems to have a better handle on what should be covered for a CEM exam. I'm nervous doing this at this stage but feel its the right thing to do for the twins.

Thanks again,

Richard
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I suggest you post in the CEM topic that was specially designed so you can get access to all the expertise in CEM all over the country instead of posting multiple threads as you have done. I think it is very hard for parents who had one dc go through one set of exams and now you have to learn another for your twins. Good luck with it all and go and look in the CEM topic which is with English, Maths, VR and NVR , there is a lot of great info there. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now