Mocks. Min age of DC.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NewToThisFourm

Mocks. Min age of DC.

Post by NewToThisFourm »

Hi All,
Just out of interest, is there a minimum age for DC's to appear in these mocks? I would like my DC to appear in these, just to get a feel of the enviornment and get exposure to real time exam. Do you think it would be good for Year 3 child to appear in these?
We get report from the school that DC generally gets involved in solving year 5 Maths and English papers but what I would like to do is to assess DC with regards to these mocks.

Any thoughts?

KR
NTTF
yoyo123

Re: Mocks. Min age of DC.

Post by yoyo123 »

personally, I think it is far too young.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I agree with Yoyo. Sitting a mock at that age would just be frightening, not because DC could not do the work but because of all the 'big people' sharpening their elbows.
mad?
NewToThisFourm

Post by NewToThisFourm »

Hello Yoyo & Mad?

Points well made and taken.

KR
NTTF
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

If you want to assess his capability why don't you give him papers at home. You don't need to pay for him to sit a mock test when most likely or not you will not receive the test papers for review of his strengths and weaknesses.
NewToThisFourm

Post by NewToThisFourm »

Hello agathachristie,
I guess that is the only thing I can do at the moment as Year 3 is too early to take up these mocks.

Thanks

NTTF
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You could spend the time building up vocabulary and proficiency at times tables and mental arithmetic, also working on problem solving. The skills will help with general school work as well.
gazzag

Post by gazzag »

What sort of mocks are you referring to? If something like the Sutton Mocks, then you would be looking at your DC taking them when next available which will be towards the end of yr 4. (You said DC is currently yr 3). That is still more than a year ahead of the real thing.

My DS is just finishing yr 4 (although skipped a year, so is eight years old) and has just taken Sutton Mocks. It was a very positive experience and he wasn't overawed at all. And he'll most likely sit again next year and we'll have a good measure of his progress.
NewToThisFourm

Post by NewToThisFourm »

My DS is just finishing yr 4 (although skipped a year, so is eight years old) and has just taken Sutton Mocks.
Hello Gazzag, thanks for your post. I was just wondering what you mean by yr 4, although skipped a year, so is eight years old.

My kiddo is 8 years old and is in year 3 (As DC is September born).

With regards to the mocks, I was looking at Sutton Mocks. So you you might be right, he will be Year 4 by the time he takes it.

KR
NTTF
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now