Parents child refused to sit Q.M exam !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

My Dh was informed by a parent that a parent went to hand in her application form for her child to sit the exam a week before the closing day and was told by the staff at the school that there are no more spaces left so they refused to take her form, furthermore (even worse) they saw where she was living (which was a great distance) and said that she was really far from the school anyway and that her child wouldn't travel that far to the school any way.

I have never heard of this happening before and do they have a right to do this when she handed the form in a week before the closing date. There is nothing on the form to say applications will be closed if there are too many applicants (as there is in some job applications) :(
Tinkers

Re: Parents child refused to sit Q.M exam !

Post by Tinkers »

What would have happens if they had posted it?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Sounds like a load of old trolley to me :? Perhaps they were trying to put off the competition from trying to apply. I cannot see how any school could do this, what if a child that lived next door applied the day before closing date, having been away for a month?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The admissions code says that anyone who fits the admission criteria and applies before the closing date can apply. I suggest she sends it recorded delivery and see what happens then. Mill Hill had thousands and had to put on two extra dates. DG
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I agree that this story is unlikely to be true. Surely you'd just hand the form in at reception and there would not be time for staff to check it. And if they live a long way away, why bother to travel to deliver it rather than send it registered post?

There are always strange rumours circulating about these exams. This is one of them. Best to ignore it!
gideon

Post by gideon »

Daogroupie wrote:The admissions code says that anyone who fits the admission criteria and applies before the closing date can apply. I suggest she sends it recorded delivery and see what happens then. Mill Hill had thousands and had to put on two extra dates. DG
comment removed by moderator