CATs question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
imustbecrazy

CATs question

Post by imustbecrazy »

Just a quick question about the cats tests, I am going through my daughter's results. It says how many attempted and how many correct with the raw score. Does anyone know how many actual questions there are, and do they grade them out of how many correct for those attempted? If child left several out (due to illness) would this also bring score down?
NancyB

Re: CATS QUESTION

Post by NancyB »

imustbecrazy wrote:Just a quick question about the cats tests, I am going through my daughter's results. It says how many attempted and how many correct with the raw score. Does anyone know how many actual questions there are, and do they grade them out of how many correct for those attempted? If child left several out (due to illness) would this also bring score down?
I've never heard of a parent seeing the CATS paper before. That's the one they did way back in year 5, with no preparation? If a child was ill on the day of that test, I would expect the primary to maybe have pulled them and let them sit it later. The kids tend to be quite relaxed when taking the test, as the schools don't put them under pressure (unlike SATS :evil: ).
titch

Post by titch »

NancyB wrote: I've never heard of a parent seeing the CATS paper before. That's the one they did way back in year 5, with no preparation? If a child was ill on the day of that test, I would expect the primary to maybe have pulled them and let them sit it later. The kids tend to be quite relaxed when taking the test, as the schools don't put them under pressure (unlike SATS :evil: ).
My sons school handed them over and talked through results, what they meant if you thinking of grammar entrance during parent evening a few weeks after the CATs were done, which we found very interesting and useful. I believe all Glos CC schools sit them but not all school hand results over but they will if requested.
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

Being given the results and having them explained is reasonably normal, though only a few schools do so. Ours gave a little slip of paper out with the Verbal, Non Verbal, Quantitive & mean score, with no further information. Another school I know of gives out a sheet with graphs showing how the kids compare to average.

I've never heard of anyone seeing the answer paper that the kids filled in before. Is it even the kind of thing the schools keep - surely they send off those papers and get back results electronically?
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Wow ! I'm a bit shocked. I asked our head about CAT tests earlier in the year and she said the funding had been removed for this so schools' were not doing it this year ?? Very confused...... :?
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

I remember having to request the CATS scores for my DD a couple of years ago - the school didn't volunteer them. I think that they are a fairly good representation of their chances at the 11+ as they are set in school with no prep and in a relaxed manner. I gather that for Grammar schools in Glos/Chelt that a score of 110+ was good indication of grammar entrance with 120+ good indication for Pates.

Will be asking for my DS #1's CATS scores at the start of next year as we start the voyage of 11+ with him.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cazien

Post by cazien »

CKMum wrote: I think that they are a fairly good representation of their chances at the 11+ as they are set in school with no prep and in a relaxed manner. I gather that for Grammar schools in Glos/Chelt that a score of 110+ was good indication of grammar entrance with 120+ good indication for Pates.
Don't take these scores as a reflection of your DCs school allocation. Couple of years ago my DSs scored 126 & 128 and both are at Crypt (DS which scored 126 achieved Crypt - 128 only offered a place by Crypt after a failed reconsideration request). Their friend scored 132 and just got into Pates. Likewise a friend scored 128 and is at a Comp as they fell apart in the test. A good Junior school should be able to inform you if your DC is likely to pass the test. Keeping them calm on the day is the biggest hurdle :|