Disappointed - Townley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Juancurt

Disappointed - Townley

Post by Juancurt »

It's the end of year 7 and it's been a tough first year at Townley for DD.

I'm considering moving her to a mixed comprehensive now.

All girls grammar is a very strange place.
Last edited by Juancurt on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
christmasbonus

Re: Disappointed - Townley

Post by christmasbonus »

Juancurt, so sorry things have not worked out at Townley for your DD. Best of luck with moving her and hope she settles down well.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

So sorry to hear this. It is such a difficult decision to decide on the right secondary school for your child. My daughter is currently in year 6 and I worry whether we have made the right choice for her. I hope that you find a school that your daughter will be happy in and you can put this experience behind you. Which schools are you looking at ?
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

I'm sorry your daughter is unhappy. Sadly, I think the bitchyness of girls is the same in any all-girls school, particularly in Year 7 when the jostling for position and status are at their height.
vaani2003

Post by vaani2003 »

Hello Juancurt
I am very sorry to hear that townley didn't proved very well. Honestly i have to say here and please guys don't mind. Townley looks to me like a factory and it looks like a school with no conscience, it is just my opinion. May be i am completely wrong.
Actually i am very happy that my daughter did not got into the Bexley league otherwise we would also put her in Townley.
We are very very much happy with Wilmington and i am sure it will turn out good for her
Best of luck Juan to your daughter and am sure she will do good
Filitosa96

Post by Filitosa96 »

Juancurt I am so very sorry she has not had a good Y7. Really hope she is happier at her new school!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi, I hope your daughter feels better soon. I suppose you have exhausted all avenues before taking this decision? How did the school respond when you raised your concerns? Is this the norm at Townley?

What about other Townley parents on this forum? Have you had the same experience? I think you have to be careful when it comes to bitchiness or similar and empower your children to overcome it as they may encounter it wherever they go.

Going to a new school may not be that easy either as she will have to form part of already established groups, won't she?
About the academic progress, what did the school have to say about it?

Good luck whatever you do. You know your daughter best.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Not the first time I hear this about Townley.

OP, would you consider Chis&Sid? Heard of one instance of a girl who was bullied there in year 7. As soon as the school were made aware of it the matter was dealt with promptly. Not at all a bitchy school, excellent pastoral care. The school has a very nice feel to it during the school day, nothing like at open evening.

Not to worry about the "sport status" the dports department is pants and nobody gives a hoot about whether a child is sporty or not.

May be worth looking in to. Good luck. Hope all works out for your DD.
Juancurt

Post by Juancurt »

I have decided to sit and wait things things out a little longer.

I am unsure if this is the correct thing to do but time will tell.

Thanks for your kind words all.
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

Hi Juan,
Thank God you are not rushing to make your decision. I am sorry to hear this. This is not what you expect after the hard work of 11 plus. I am a parent and private tutor. My daughter just finished year 11 in Townley and I have students in other years in Townley but I have not receive this type of complaints from any of their parents and I have a very good relationship with these parents, in fact I am still tutoring some of their children as well. I will enquire further from the lower years.
Well I know a comprehensive girls only school in Bexley that worst has happened, police have to be involved. I was told worst things happened in these comprehensive schools as well but we cannot generalised unless we have evidence. I know the level of discipline and pastoral care is higher in one school than the other. For instance, students expelled from one grammar school were accepted in another grammar school not even in Bexley but the two boroughs near to us. You can work this out yourself. I am not just a parent or tutor but a educational researcher and used to represent parents in schools and I can tell you every school has their problem.
Who are your DD's friend in school? You need to know what sort of things they engage in. Why is she the victim? Is she been set up by one of the captains in the group? Is one of the girls in the group has strong personalities? Does she normally say no to them? etc If you can establish the causes, go to the school and meet the learning manager if not satisfy, see Mr. Deenham. Townley has her problem like any other school or grammar. There are some parents that cannot cope with the high level of homework and there are some parents that cannot cope with multicultural composition of Townley etc. Do not send your daughter to grammar school that are on the same level academically with some comps.I do not want to name. Your daughter has worked hard for one of the best. Get into the bottom of the problem do not just leave it.
I have worked in two comps in Medway and Bromley and it is another story entirely. Please take your time to make your decision but investigate the whole issue and take necessary action
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now