List of schools without catchment / priority area

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anto999

List of schools without catchment / priority area

Post by anto999 »

Hi All,

I currently live in East London and am looking out for state grammar schools for my dear son for admission in year 7 in Sep 2015. As it will be near to impossible for me to move out to areas like Essex or Kent due to personal reasons, I am looking at prioritising / opting for schools without catchment area within 50 miles of London. Once my son gets admission, I would surely be moving in 2015 to a closer place near the school where he gets admitted.

Hence, at the moment I am looking at schools that don't have catchment area or schools that have higher percentage of admitting OOC pupils. My current list includes QE Barnet, Colchester grammar school, Datford grammar school, St. Olaves Bromley, Bexley council ( since they give priority to top 180 ).

Are there are any more boys grammar schools that I can / should look for that don't have catchment area and /or provide large percentage for OOC admissions to year 7.

Appreciate your help and guidance for more schools for me to consider for my dear son.
ToadMum

Re: List of schools without catchment / priority area

Post by ToadMum »

Well, if you get CRGS, you certainly don't want to be saddling your DS with the train journey form London as well as the long walk up from the station to Lexden Road, so you would definitely have to be prepared to move as soon as possible :)

Since your DS is doing the CSSE test for CRGS anyway, he would also have the option of WHSB and SHSB, as well as the 24 'all-comers' places at KEGS in Chelmsford. There is a minimum of 39 places at WHSB for OOC applicants and usually more do get a place as SHSB tends to be more popular in-catchment. However, for any of these schools you should be aiming to move nearer if your DS is going to get anything more out of his secondary school experience than just travelling and academic work.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anto999

Post by anto999 »

ToadMum, you are absolutely right. I would be moving closer to the school my DS gets a place in. But, i wont be able to move closer to any these schools outside London before Jun / July 2015 as I am in a contract where I am staying now.

He is preparing hard for it and we are motivating him likewise. But, since my DS is an OOC candidate, we would need to consider more schools that are open for OOC students so as to broaden our options.

Can you help with more options that can be considered.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

All grammar schools are listed in the following link. See which suits you for relocation and check their admission criteria and entrance test requirement.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/regions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anto999

Post by anto999 »

Yes , I have been browsing through the elevenplus regions page quite often. There are some schools in Kent like Judd school and Skinners' School which dont have catchment area as the eligibility criteria.

Are there more schools in regions other than West Kent, Essex, independent ones like QE Barnet, St. Olaves who dont have the priority area criteria.

Appreciate if experts can provide more names and also schools which have a better percentage of intakes from OOC area.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

bear in mind also that teh ones like Judd and Skinner are "superselective"
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry - I really think that you should be researching this yourself as you need to be able to move into a suitable area.

You could look at some of the Bucks GS as they are not all filled by applicants; some will be 'all offered' so distance isn't a factor.
anto999

Post by anto999 »

How are superselective different than others, I guess selective ones.

By Bucks GS, are you referring to Buchinghamshire GS ?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Superselectives select on score (ie the highest get in). In Buckinghamshire (ie Bucks GSs) you qualify if you get above a certain score then it is on distance from the school (that's a bit if a broad generalisation, but will do for now!).

I would look at each area and the information listed on the relevant pages & see what might suit you. Other people don't know you or what would suit you, and without wishing to be unkind to a new poster you came across slightly as if you wanted others to do your research for you - I'm sure you didn't mean that. Schools are a very personal choice. If you ask about specific schools/areas people will be very happy to advise.
scary mum
anto999

Post by anto999 »

Isn't it that all grammar schools take students based on the ranking as per the highest scores .. whether they have a catchment area or not.

Sorry if I came across as wanting people to do research for me. My intention to put this post on the forum is to merely to get more information on schools considering OOC students. I believe there are quite a people who would been through this stage, so this is only to get their expert opinion on whichever schools they are aware of that I can consider.