Levels at end of Yr 3

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sleeplessinhalstead

Levels at end of Yr 3

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

I have just had DD3's end of Yr 3 report. End of year levels are good I think, but they are exactly the same as her mid year report. She has had a supply teacher for the 2nd half of the year, which might account for grading, but I feel concerned about lack of progress. She achieved 4c in Reading, 3b in Maths, 3b in writing.

Any suggestions on remedial action over the summer holidays? I don't think there is any point in discussing with the teacher as she is leaving. I think the next check point will be November of Year 4. I had thought she was GS material, but I think she will need to be at least 4a in all subjects end of year 4 and achieving high L5's end of year 5 just before the 11+ and I'm feeling a lot less confident about it now.
Daogroupie

Re: Levels at end of Yr 3

Post by Daogroupie »

What schools are you applying for? Sats levels should improve by 2/3 of a level every year But if the student is preparing for 11 plus English and Maths levels should be rising much faster than that. Students I know of go up a whole sats level in one term. DG
mystery

Post by mystery »

Don't panic yet. Give more detail about the schools you are aiming for and the types of tests they have and then maybe people can suggest something useful for this summer.

Does she have to write for your test?

I'd be tempted to pick one thing for the summer - say maths, and concentrate on that. Buy some books which aim to get you from a level 3 to a level 4 and use them? e.g. start with CGP maths books which focus on level 3 and then start the level 4 books. And do some regular work which revises all maths topics e.g. 10 minute papers from Bond.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Don't worry. A lot of kids stall in year 3: different requirements for KS2, different teachers etc., just general growing up. My DS's scores didn't move in year 3. In year 4 they began to gain momentum again (with some help from me in the form that Mystery recommends).
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yep, stagnation in yr 3 is common and very normal. The curriculum broadens out hugely at the beginning of KS2, so there are many more boxes to tick before a child moves up a sub-level compared with KS1.

JD
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi sleeplessinhalstead! Sorry to read about your doubts.

Kids don’t grow in a straight line or in line with our hopes and expectations. They are also developing inside but tend to demonstrate significant step growth when it has all come together and they are ready to show it. There is also a lot of box ticking involved in pupil assessment and this doesn’t always do justice to a pupil’s work or their development up to a particular point in time. Sometimes, a teacher’s subjective overall judgement can also be plain wrong.

Our own child had her ups and downs with assessment Levels right up to the end of her Year 5. Then her Year 6 teacher advised against applying to selective schools. Yet, come the exams for highly selective schools, she was fine.

By the way, the grammar school road is a tough and bumpy one and there may be more moments when you wonder. Do stay positive and keep at it. We were the same a few years ago, full of doubt and anxiety right up until that letter dropped on our doormat.

So I wouldn’t worry. Just do work as other posts have suggested and keep going. You have two good years before she has to show that she is ready.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The two of mine that entered year 3 on high ks1 levels stayed pretty still or a year. The one that entered on level 2b went up quite a few levels after having an awful temporary year 3 teacher who scared him, the result being he got dropped into lower streams, the lower stream teachers saw his potential and along with some simple work books at home, some mummy magic and daddy bedtime reading, he got himself up to 3a by the start of year 4, where his new teacher was superb. He did stay put for a few months again as he settled into higher level learning, as someone mentioned, few children consistently travel up two levels a year, they have surges and lulls.
The level 3 at ks 2 work is a big transition, so I hope you will read all these posts and feel comforted.
Rubycat

Post by Rubycat »

I think your levels sound good, to try to be 4a at the end of year 4 may not be necessary, my daughter was 4c for English and Maths in year 4. Year 5, 4a English 5c Maths, finished year 6 on level 6 Maths, Level 6 writing and level 5a reading, don't remember her levels in year 3, she comfortably passed the 11plus, and is really Happy at ColCH. She only really started to work, from the Christmas in year 5, we had a tutor one hour a week and did one hour either Saturday, or Sunday, we let her choose, doing just 2 hours a week got her to 5a just before the 11 plus, she hated reading books, still does, now in year 8, maths 7A, English 7B.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

I am hoping for CCHSG (ColCHS) (Essex) which is considered a super selective. DD1 is there already, but DD2 missed out so I am trying to keep an eye on progress with DD3 even though it is still 2 years away. From experience so far it is hard to teach English and improve that in a short period of time, especially vocab.

I know levels aren't everything, and my DD2 who didn't get in has higher end of yr 6 levels than DD1 did... but I do feel I should see ongoing progress.

So for summer I am thinking we should focus on reading, and getting her to read to us every day. But I am not sure what else to do for English. We have just started some Bond age 7-8 10 minute verbal reasoning and she is enjoying those.

Does anyone have suggestions for Maths and English resources to use for this age group, I have lots for Yr5 level plus prep, but not for this stage.

I think I will then speak to her teacher when she returns in September (has been on mat leave) and mention the summer report showing no progress so she is aware and we can then assess it when we get the November report/parent's evening.

I have wondered if there might be any value in moving her to a prep for the last couple of years of primary, but so far I've found our local primary very good, but it might give her a better foundation. One parent of a child at our local prep has told me they aim for a year ahead of the state system, which is where I think we need to be for 11+ 3 weeks into year 6.