Edinburgh

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Minesatea

Edinburgh

Post by Minesatea »

I am going to have 3 days in Edinburgh at the end of the month with 9 year old DS. DH will be working so I will not have access to the car, but will be based in the city centre. I don't know the city at all, so I would appreciate suggestions for things DS may enjoy.
Yamin151

Re: Edinburgh

Post by Yamin151 »

Minesatea wrote:I am going to have 3 days in Edinburgh at the end of the month with 9 year old DS. DH will be working so I will not have access to the car, but will be based in the city centre. I don't know the city at all, so I would appreciate suggestions for things DS may enjoy.
Cannot remember what they are called - help! - but the vaults under the city are fun to go and see, someone will know what they are called! And obviously the castle. Both in the centre. Edinburgh is lovely.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Go see the pandas at the zoo - there's a bus from the city centre that goes past the entrance :D

JD
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Do you mean Mary King's Close?

We love Edinburgh.

Edinburgh castle, John Knox House and Holyrood House are our favourites.

What does he like?

Try this site:

http://www.edinburghguide.com/venues/vi ... ttractions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Will you be there in August? The fringe festival is brill go down High Street and watch people juggling with chain saws and small children (not at the same time)

You can easily walk around Edinburgh, as long as you don't mind hills.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

We love Edinburgh so we took the children to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe a couple of years ago. My DD would have been about 9, and she absolutely loved the Camera Obscura and World of Illusions, which is right by the castle. I enjoyed seeing the Royal Yacht Britannia down in Leith Docks but I suspect the children were slightly bored.

The centre of the city is small but hilly, but easy to walk around; there are also very good bus services around the area. Just wandering about Princes Street Gardens (nice for a picnic) and the Royal Mile (long hill that joins Holyrood palace at the bottom to the castle at the top) is good, as is climbing up the extinct volcano called Arthur's Seat. There are open-top bus tours, and good art galleries that may have children's activities. If you are there at the end of July you will also be there for the build-up to the festival which starts on 1st August. I want to go back just thinking about it!

Yoyo when we we there we saw the man juggling a chainsaw while sitting on a unicycle. Unfortunately it was wet and he slipped and fell off during the act which was a bit scary for him and the audience! Luckily we were standing well back from the action...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

went some years ago and enjoyed going round Britannia (had kids aged about 8 and 5 at the time. It is at Leith and you could probably get there on the bus too.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Unfortunately slightly too early for the fringe or the tattoo. He has always wanted to go on an open top bus so that will work. The castle and zoo are I think a must, and I had forgotten Britannia was there. Buses, walking and hills not a problem, he is used to being marched around after his older siblings! Older DC's will be away on a special trip with other relatives so this is very much mum and son time. So as many suggestions as possible please so I can let him have some choice.
What he likes best -music, science, any form of transport and food!
Last edited by Minesatea on Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Definitely do the Camera Obscura place then. We spent hours in there and the children said it was their favourite thing of all.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

hermanmunster wrote:went some years ago and enjoyed going round Britannia (had kids aged about 8 and 5 at the time. It is at Leith and you could probably get there on the bus too.
Yes you can definitely do it on the bus. We went back and forth from Leith on the bus every day as that's where our hotel was (Premier Inn with a lovely view over the Firth of Forth).

When we went on the Britannia we used Tesco Clubcard Deals vouchers. Worth checking out if they are still valid as it wasn't particularly cheap I seem to remember.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now