SEN allowances

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sunshine 11

SEN allowances

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Today was the day the SEN allowances would be announced. My daughter has been refused extra time despite having an Ed Psych report stating it was required and being given it at school. The only allowance she has is to be able to take her glasses in !

Has anyone else been given any extra concessions. It seems near impossible ! hey ho. Worth an ask.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Stressed?Moi?

Re: SEN allowances

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Sunshine 11 wrote:Today was the day the SEN allowances would be announced. My daughter has been refused extra time despite having an Ed Psych report stating it was required and being given it at school. The only allowance she has is to be able to take her glasses in !

Has anyone else been given any extra concessions. It seems near impossible ! hey ho. Worth an ask.
We are waiting to hear! How did you find out as we haven't had an email or post.?
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

E mail, but I did follow it up first I called to speak to the admissions officer and then I e-mailed. I think it is because DD has progressed so much she doesn't have help at school anymore and so isn't on school action. It does still provide good grounds for appeal though so the foundations are laid. Good luck !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Ok, thanks. Still no contact, so we'll follow it up. Glad to hear your dd has improved so much; sounds like you won't need to appeal, but if you do, as you say, you are ahead of the curve. Good luck to you too.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Ok, thanks. Sorry it didn't work out how you wanted. Still no contact, so we'll follow it up. Glad to hear your dd has improved so much; sounds like you won't need to appeal, but if you do, as you say, you are ahead of the curve.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

When we applied for an SEN allowance for ds 18 months ago we were told very clearly that they would happily enlarge the paper but there are no allowances for extra time. Luckily for us we didn't have to apply so early as we wouldn't have thought to ask for an allowance, at the time his issue developed and got worse in the run up to the exam, he only got a medical diagnosis after the exam.

At the time his Junior school were looking in to extra time for his SATs due to his sight issue. In the end he didn't need the extra time but the enlargement wasn't large enough for him, this helped us when we went to appeal. By having asked and given a reason for it at this point you have already laid the ground work for an appeal if it is necessary.
Last edited by MedievalBabe on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Thanks ladies. I guess if you don't ask you don't get. At least now she will definitely be sat with her friends. Every cloud and all that ! :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Even sell up

Post by Even sell up »

Erm....

If your daughter is no longer receiving any extra help at school, then surely she can't expect to receive any extra time in the test?
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Well I guess that is the conclusion they reached. My argument would be based on potential and I believe that is what the tests are trying to achieve, finding the children with the extra potential who are not simply going to plateau, although personally I believe at age 10 this is very difficult to gauge.

So my argument would be that with the disability of dyspraxia and dyslexia and barely able to write a legible sentence in Y2 she is now level 5c in English and sitting around an average of 4a in math. Her progress has been astonishing and has taken everyone by surprise. She has a slow processing speed, she always will have, and so although she can achieve a good level it takes her longer, that is the basis for my request. I guess it will just have to go to appeal should she not get QS !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera