AGGS & SGS new exam format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Valmont

AGGS & SGS new exam format

Post by Valmont »

there seem to be several topics on here touching on the new exam format but this is what the admission procedures have now confirmed for the Sep 2014 exam

AGGS
GL Assessment papers in English, VR and Maths all multiple choice.
The English paper replaces the former NVR (squiggle test).
I am assuming there are three seperate papers although the admission procedures does not specify.

SGS
Two muliple choice papers each 45 mins long testing Verbal, Non Verbal and Maths.
This is a departure from previous years when each subject was tested seperately.

AGGS have taken the gauntlet and pushed through the introduction of the English paper following concerns that the current Year 7 intake is particularly weak in this subject. This couldn't come soon enough in my opinion, anyone starting grammar school should have a good command of the English language. There are concerns however this will disadvantage those girls whose first language is not English.

From the sublime to the ridiculous with SGS who boast the exam is harder and tutor proof in attempt to ensure only the brightest children pass. Really? do SGS not want any pupils in their school. In reality all that will happen is the pass mark will have to be lowered sufficiently to ensure they achieve their intake quota.

Athough this is an extra paper for my nine year old DD it is a step in the right direction. Evenings are now spent reading a book for an hour rather than playing minecraft on the tablet. Am looking forward to the results in October, they should make interesting readng.
overworked

Re: AGGS & SGS NEW EXAM FORMAT

Post by overworked »

I thought AGGS was doing NVR and not English now?
pen&paper

Re: AGGS & SGS new exam format

Post by pen&paper »

The most up to date information is on the AGGS website:

"We should like to update you on our Admission arrangements for 2014-15. The format for this year’s examination will be the same as in previous years, consisting of a 20 minute Non Verbal Reasoning paper, followed by a 50 minute Verbal Reasoning paper and a 50 minute Mathematics paper"

So, AGGS is doing NVR in place of their proposed English paper. They had 3 late objections in their consultative process.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now