Woahh...Tiffin School / Boys Open Day today

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MSC

Woahh...Tiffin School / Boys Open Day today

Post by MSC »

Is it just me or did you also feel that there were a lot more prospective students and parents there today compared to last year?

Arrived at 4.30 and there was a very long queue, I don't remember having such a long queue at the same time last year. During the tour, it was jam packed inside, almost very difficult to walk from room to room - I really don't remember it was that packed that last year.
Last edited by MSC on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peridot

Re: Woahh...Tiffin School / Boys Open Day today

Post by Peridot »

I remember it being crammed when we went in 2009 - I think it's always busy! We did go late rather than early in the evening though so I don't know if that made a difference. My son was on his best behaviour helping out tonight and he did say the queue was enormous. Not nice weather for it either.

I know from previous years when my son has helped out in various departments that the teachers and boys are trying very hard to help everyone but it's very difficult for anyone to get a true picture of the school when it's so busy.
panicattack

Post by panicattack »

Yes - was quite a bit of queueing in the rain! I'm not sure if there were more people than usual. It's always busy. People were funnelled in through a narrow entrance to pick up a guide which didn't help the queues. Maybe should just allow people to enter through two gates and pick up guide in the grounds. Boys and school impressive of course.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Boys and school impressive of course.
Ever more applications. Would 14 km catchment have any effect? :wink:
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

tiffinboys wrote:
Boys and school impressive of course.
Ever more applications. Would 14 km catchment have any effect? :wink:
Sadly none I imagine TB
J50

Post by J50 »

The wife went to have a look round, I didn't fancy the melee. Will take son round if he scores high enough in October. She seemed to quite like it, said some of the facilities were quite old, and the sports facilities were very good. Not sure if he'll end up going there anywhere whatever score he gets, he wouldn't like the level of sporting success - except for cricket which does well for obvious reasons.

Headmistress speech mentioned that people who have to travel more than an hour to get there should really reconsider whether they should apply, as that amount of travelling each day is too much. Quite right. Though that would mean anyone over about 5 miles given what the traffic can be like sometimes.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

No one give heed to HT's advise about travelling and neither she does any thing about it, allowing children from as far as Slough doing daily commute. This year too, there are some admissions from Slough and other distant areas.

Even 14 km catchment is just too big. If HT sincerely believe in reasonable travel, then she should push for changes in the admission arrangements.

I am sure that TGS HT would also have similar advise this evening and would then laugh as soon as steps away from rostrum.
MSC

Post by MSC »

tiffinboys wrote: Would 14 km catchment have any effect? :wink:

No one give heed to HT's advise about travelling
I overheard one young one said "my friend wakes up at 4.30 am and travel for 2 hours..."
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

MSC wrote:
tiffinboys wrote: Would 14 km catchment have any effect? :wink:

No one give heed to HT's advise about travelling
I overheard one young one said "my friend wakes up at 4.30 am and travel for 2 hours..."

I know I'm repeating the same old record over and over again, but... How can parents do that to their children? It's a strong term but I would say that is verging on child abuse.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

MSC wrote:During the tour, it was jam packed inside, almost very difficult to walk from room to room
That's how I remember it from a few years back. A bit pointless really... very difficult to get a feel for the school but at least you see the facilities and hear the HT.
Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati