New to all this, any help welcome

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mrs Sinatra

New to all this, any help welcome

Post by Mrs Sinatra »

Hello

We are late to all this but DD will very probably be sitting the CSSE 11 plus in September.

We have registered with the office, do we need to do anything else at this stage re registering?

I downloaded the two practise papers from the site. I don't want to over tutor DD (it's counterproductive with her) but I'd like to give it a good shot. I would like her to be familiar with the sort of papers she will face, which I hope this does. I'd like to do ten minutes a day with her from now until then, can anyone link me to some CSSE relevant books/papers? I have been kindly give me lots of 'eleven plus' books, but they are all different and it's just adding to the confusion at the moment.

Apologies for sounding so thick! And if I'm not sounding very optimistic it's because some friends keeps telling me it's really hard to get in and their children were tutored for years and what are we THINKING. So I'm keeping expectations low. :D

Thank you in advance.
Minesatea

Re: New to all this, any help welcome

Post by Minesatea »

Its quite difficult this year as the exam format has changed and many of the old hands on this forum (like myself) would have had DC's who sat the old format.
Personally I like the schofield and sims books, reading comprehension and mental arthrithmatic especially. I also used Bond maths and English papers. Some familiarity with verbal and nonverbal reasoning seems to be required but not to the extent that verbal reasoning was required in the past, so I would not spend too much time on it. Unfortunately as the CSSE exam is only Essex, there is few materials specifically aimed at it.
I would think that any 11 plus maths papers you may have would be ok as long as not MC. Reading comprehension and then practice some short writing pieces on any topic you can think of!
Mrs Sinatra

Re: New to all this, any help welcome

Post by Mrs Sinatra »

Minesatea, thanks again (you're also helping me with transport!).

That's pretty much what I thought. But didn't want to miss anything.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now