Loreto grammar categories

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lost mum

Loreto grammar categories

Post by Lost mum »

Hi there

My daughter is just leaving year 4, a teacher has said she defiantly grammar school ideal she's working at year 6 level now no problems. The only thing is we live in manchester so out of area for loreto, altrincham, sale and stretford. Manchester no long has a grammar school and £9000+/year for private isn't an option!

She falls in category 4 (ie baptised catholic outside of area) for loretto, if she passes the 11plus how high are the chances of her getting a place - can anyone advise roughly how many girls in category 4 get in?

Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Loreto grammar categories

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Lost Mum

Are you in cat 4 or 5? one is in specific pastoral areas and the other is outside. I think from previous comments that the line is usually somewhere amongst the 5s - though not sure and will try to find some more info

pages 63 and 64 http://www.trafford.gov.uk/residents/sc ... -final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit: page 118 shows that places were offered up to Cat 7 ... though obviously it can change year on year ..
Lost mum

Post by Lost mum »

Thanks for your reply,

She is in category 4 as per this which is from Loreto's website

https://cloud02.lpplus.net/website/lore ... 202015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 seems to be for other girls in care.

She's not at any of the schools on their list but is baptised catholic - so lost at what to do, she's a very bright girl but don't know if it's worth the stress for her (and us!) to sit the 11+ if unlikely to get in any of them - loreto being first choice!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

All Cat 4 girls were allocated last year and even a couple of Non Catholics who would have been high scorers.

The year before ( which was the first year where score not distance came into play) some Cat 4 girls in my (out of)area missed out.

I believe the pass mark has been raised this year.

As a Cat 4- if you daughter passes with a high score she would probably get a place.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I just sent you a pm with more info on.
Lost mum

Post by Lost mum »

Thanks for this.

Just need to look at some practice papers for her - going to try her with a test this week, tell her no expectations to know any of the answers and see how she does then decide. I don't really want a tutor, would prefer her get the grade without being moulded to pass the test. Obviously we'll have a look at guides and past/practice papers.
emsy

Post by emsy »

You could also look at Urmston Grammar which takes the top 20 scorers as the second category after looked-after children and Sale which takes out-of-catchment children highest score first rather than by distance.
Lost mum

Post by Lost mum »

Thank you feel a little wiser this evening!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now