12+ Preparation - Please Help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bucksdad8623

12+ Preparation - Please Help

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi, my DS failed his 11+ last year. We appealed to RGS and JHGS but were not successful.
My DS was disappointed, but has moved on and is looking forward to starting at SWR in September.
Despite the stress of the last year which has shaken his confidence, he wants to do the 12+.
In retrospect I’m not sure whether a grammar school is the right place for him. He’s telling me it’s what he wants and he could mature in the next 6 months and prove my doubts wrong.

We made the mistake of not preparing our DS enough for the 11+, I don’t want to make the same mistake with the 12+.
Even if my DS doesn’t sit the 12+, I want him to be prepared just in case. Anyway, it won’t do him any harm and will help him get off to a good start in his upper school.

Both our preferred grammar schools have told me the format of their 12+ for next year hasn’t been published yet, based on previous years RGS is based on curriculum work whilst JHGS is more like the CEM 11+.
Can anyone give me guidance for the kind of questions my DS should expect for his 12+, in particular the kind of questions he’ll come up against for the JHGS 12+?

I’ve assumed CEM 11+ papers would be a good start, but I’m not sure if the 12+ paper would be similar (but with a higher pass mark) or with more difficult questions.
Can anyone recommend test papers or books that I can buy?
Many thanks.
southbucks3

Re: 12+ Preparation - Please Help

Post by southbucks3 »

Bucks dad, I have no idea ...Sorry, but I will keep my ear to the ground.

re: Ramsay....get this week's bfp, there is a pull out colour bit on wrs that your ds may enjoy, obviously it's a promo, but nice to see.

Oooh just re read this...get me with my abbreviations and acronyms...I am obviously down with the kids. :shock:
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Southbucks, thanks for your advice, I had to consult my ‘yoof to adult’ dictionary before understanding it :)
Unfortunately I’m firmly up there with the middle aged.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

:lol: sorry

In this week's bucks free press (published last Friday),there is a lovely full colour promotion about your sons new school.
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

Hi bucksdad and SB3,

I'm also considering going down the 12+ route for DD - we'd be looking at WHS and SWBGS both of which administer their own tests.

I haven't been able to find anything out about the tests either other than that they are maths, eng, science and foreign lang. If anyone knows anything more I'd love to hear it. I'm not sure how much preparation we'll do - the information is really needed to let dd know what she is signing up for. I'm sure she'll say know if she's just doing it "blind".

Oh SB3 - going round again this year - I hope that you and your youngest get what you want first time this go!
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

My daughter did the 12+ last year. They did not announce the format until mid December. We only put her through the torment of 1 exam - for Sir Henry Floyd, which was administered by BCC. Aylesbury High were doing their own thing. I looked at the admissions numbers for her year to see which was more likely to have places for Year 8, before our final decision.

We took a flyer that it was going to be the same format as the CEM 11+ (she was the last year of the old format) and prepared her accordingly. It was the same format. Passmark was still 121 but not sure how more tricky it was.

We entered her in October as per the timetable as we felt we could always change our mind and withdraw her but would not be able to add her.

She took it and passed and is now at SHF and so far so good!! Now onto my son who takes the 11+ on Thursday!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... dure-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the page to keep an eye on.
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

Hi Purplerabbit,
I don't have much more to add other than to consider contacting the schools directly.
I’ve spoken to RGS and JHGS who didn’t really tell me anything I didn’t already know, but you might have more luck.
I think the 12+ for RGS is based on maths and English, they told me it will be based on curriculum work which makes sense otherwise how could it be fair.
It sounds like your case is similar, if you ensure your DD is on top of her school work then I think (and I could be wrong) that will be good preparation.

Having not been down this path before I’m not sure what to do. As Bucks CC don’t administer the 12+ for RGS and JHGS I have to contact the schools directly so they can send the forms I need to apply to sit the test.
I think I also have to make my preferences known to the admissions people at Bucks CC.
I could be completely wrong so please let me know if I am.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

JHGS was CEM for last year's 12 plus entry, so I would think it unlikely to change, but what do I know?!
scary mum
bucksdad8623

Post by bucksdad8623 »

I agree, I think JHGS will be CEM format. :(