Non-qualification and over-subscription panel hearing

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

discreetmum

Non-qualification and over-subscription panel hearing

Post by discreetmum »

Hi Etienne

I have sent an email relating to my appeal to the confidential box as it contains some specific information about my child. I would very much appreciate your comments.
Etienne

Re: Non-qualification and over-subscription panel hearing

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

I'm afraid nothing has come through. Could you please check the email address?
Etienne
discreetmum

Post by discreetmum »

Hi Etienne

Thanks for letting me know. I have re-sent it.

General points are:

- academy school, usually no appeals are upheld, local authority handles the appeal on behalf of the school

- very low scores versus high attainment at school and school very supportive of appeal
discreetmum

Post by discreetmum »

Hi

Does anyone know what would happen at a hearing in the unlikely event that one of the panel members was an acquaintance? (This happened when I was on jury service and it turned out that I knew one of the main prosecution witnesses!)

Thanks
saints32

Post by saints32 »

Hi. Yes, the panel members should be circulated in advance of the hearing - and appellants will be asked if they know any of them. If yes, they'll be swapped - I think that this happened in the DCGS hearings this week
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

saints32 wrote:Yes, the panel members should be circulated in advance of the hearing - and appellants will be asked if they know any of them. If yes, they'll be swapped ......
Saints32 is right:
    • 2.10 The clerk must send all the papers required for the hearing, including the names of
      the panel members, to both the parties and the members of the panel a reasonable time
      before the date of the hearing. This will allow opportunity for any objections regarding
      impartiality of panel members to be notified to the clerk.
      [Appeals Code]
discreetmum wrote:General points are:
- academy school, usually no appeals are upheld, local authority handles the appeal on behalf of the school
- very low scores versus high attainment at school and school very supportive of appeal
If asked about underperformance in the 11+, I would say no more than that the outcome was inexplicable, and that the school was very surprised.

I don't know when the mock SATs were taken. The more recent they are, the more difficult it becomes.

You could argue that confidence has been shaken since the 11+, but ideally we could do with some reassurance that things are back on track.

It might be worth checking with the school to see if they are able to provide an update for the appeal.
Etienne
discreetmum

Post by discreetmum »

Thanks Saints32 and Etienne for response re panel members. There was no mention in the letter about this and only titles and surnames were given. I have therefore advised that I know someone of that title/surname so they can check if it is the same person. One less point to worry about....

Thanks also Etienne for your advice regarding appeal evidence etc. Mocks were Feb or possibly beginning of March so I will see if an update nearer the time would be helpful.
discreetmum

Post by discreetmum »

Hi I would appreciate advice as to whether it would be helpful to state child's opinions re grammar school, entrance exam and allocated school at hearing. I have sent an email to the confidential box with specific details. Many thanks.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I wouldn't recommend raising these points as part of your case.

However, if you happen to get a question about preparation for the 11+, or "How did your child feel about .... ?", it would give you an opportunity to mention them without making it part of your case.

Good luck for the hearing!
Etienne
discreetmum

Post by discreetmum »

Sadly, it was a "no"! Thanks to everyone for their help. I have added to the 'feedback from all areas sticky' in case it is useful for anyone else.

The decision letters were worded identically with a few of the points made at the respective hearings added in.

One final question though! One school representative stated how many qualified children there were on the waiting list, at which point the panel gasped and I 'knew' we had lost. The clerk made no comment. Is this permitted under the code? (I did not say anything as I was not quite sure of the facts and the damage was already done.)