I wish there was more of this

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

I wish there was more of this

Post by Tinkers »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/yo ... am-3863807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
southbucks3

Re: I wish there was more of this

Post by southbucks3 »

Gosh i now have a massive lump in my throat, that is truly an amazing letter, I hope everyone on here reads it to their children now, I certainly will. Lovely.
mystery

Post by mystery »

southbucks3 wrote:Gosh i now have a massive lump in my throat, that is truly an amazing letter, I hope everyone on here reads it to their children now, I certainly will. Lovely.
That school has great results too. VA c of e primary school - average ks2 grade in 2013 was 5c according to dfe performance tables. 4b at our school in a much more prosperous area and similar proportion fsm. That brings a lump to my throat too!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Amazing letter. Just what a difference good teachers would make. Looking at their results, thanks mystery, they don't seems to have neglected learning aspect too, while emphasizing what makes good human being. Lesson to be learnt by all the schools.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

If only all schools could be so caring! Another one with a lump in the throat here too.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe it's just me :oops: but it makes me feel a little bit ill. Couldn't such a letter say well done on the test results but also say that other things are just as important, if not more important and give some praise for those?

I'm being fussy I know, but I just feel it sounds a little critical of "people who test" and a little condescending in its tone as really it is pretty obvious that the external paper writers and test markers do not know the child. In fact, this is something that children need teaching early on so that they write clearly without assuming that the marker can read their mind.

But yes, it's a nice thought writing to the children in this kind of vein. Perhaps particularly at this high-achieving school there are some children who feel terrible at the end of year 6 with their level 3s or 4s so the timing of the letter is particularly pertinent.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I agree with mystery's first paragraph. It's a lovely idea to celebrate everyone's achievements but the letter seems to imply that they've not done very well in the tests so there's more than a hint of condescension to my mind. I think the wording needs a bit of work! And I hate the Americanism of "a really neat place". I'm a very picky person though...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Point well made, mystery.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Most schools send out a stark list of results, with no personal comment at all - this school has obviously made a point of trying to encourage all of its' children to think outside the academic box as being the be all and end all. I think if you were a child who had done well, this letter would encourage you to think about the positives the other children, who maybe hadn't done as well, bring to life - perhaps an academically able child might stop and think - is there anything else I could do to be a better person. If a child has done not so well, this letter allows the parents/child to focus in on some of the positive things they contribute to society. It is about the rounded individual and the fact that everyone is different. I certainly think that if more people thought this way, our education system would improve leaps and bounds overnight.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

Sadly it looks as though the author of the letter has plagiarized this:

http://seedsforlearning.blogspot.co.uk/ ... s.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now