Child Genius - New Channel 4 Programme 2014

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Child Genius - New Channel 4 Programme 2014

Post by Snowdrops »

O. M. G. Just read an article in the Daily Mail (sorry :lol: ). And if even half of it is true you have to feel very sorry of Aliyah.

As for the programme itself, whoever thought it was a good idea to pit children against each other in a game show style contest ought to be shot, as should their parents for entering them. Nowt like blowing their self esteem out of the water at such a tender age, is there!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... enius.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
silverysea

Re: Child Genius - New Channel 4 Programme 2014

Post by silverysea »

It is hyped up for tv, I've met some past participants - there are lots more than the tv people highlight, including the majority who lose and are never shown-and most are pretty ordinary, fun to play and talk with and enjoy competing in this way. The majority have to deal with failure, like anything else. Same as sports, dance, art, acting, chess, music... All areas have a few weird parents feeding a few talented or hothoused ones silly stuff-IMO it's the placebo effect and the pure adult attention that gives a benefit, if there is a benefit.

My girls love this show but would not want to do it themselves.

Good old Daily Mail! Always reliable.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Agreed, in everyday life you have to deal with failure, and it's something children have to learn, but to do it so spectacularly? It's wrong.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Personally I think 'ought to be shot' is quite correct.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

It's what passes for entertainment that disturbs me, not just this show.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

One of the boys from the last show is in my dd year at school. When my ds was in y6 he was doing maths with the level 6 children and now he doesn't even go out of class for maths he is just given his own stuff. But at all other times he is in the lessons with the others and he is not always at the top of the class for every subject, he is very down to earth, as is his mum. They are worried he won't pass the exam for super selective, just like us all, as his English is average.

The problem with this programme is that they edit it so the parents seem super pushy, maybe some of them are but then there are pushy parents everywhere.

Dd came home this week shocked that some of her classmates are not getting a summer but have to study all of the time ready for the exam. We have said 10/15 mins a day and lots of reading.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I think this is the programme that AverageDad's son was on last year...
mad?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why would any parent put their child forward for this type of 'entertainment' ... ?
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

It exemplifies the worst kind of parental pushiness imaginable. If your child is highly intelligent by all means allow them to take part in competitions and other activities that stimulate them. But why do they have to be on TV? The experience will have long-lasting effects on some children, not of a positive kind.

I'm ashamed to say I did watch it last year along with the rest of my family and we all recoiled in horror at the antics of the dreadful Hugo and his simpering parents, and also I'm sorry to say the astonishingly over-the-top Tiger parenting of Averagedad. Sorry I don't mean to sound sanctimonious but why would anyone want to parade their children in public in this way? It's another example of car-crash viewing really, isn't it?
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

It is an awful programme, but no worse than a series I watched a few years ago about the 11+, which featured a very strange family indeed.

And now I must go and force my DS to ride his horse, because he is very talented but really can't be bothered to put the work in. Unfortunately I love watching him and basking in the reflected glory. The difference between me and them - I would be too embarrassed to be filmed. :oops:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now