AET Advanced English Course Feedback

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gulat

AET Advanced English Course Feedback

Post by gulat »

Hi

DD is planning to appear 11plus exams in Sept 2014. Has any parent on the forum sent thier DC to this course. What would your feedback be? Is it worth investing the time to attend the course. DD is targeting HBS and St Michael's both of which have an element of creative writing. I have been DIY tutoring my child so far but creative writing is not my strongest skill.

Thanks in advance
silverysea

Re: AET Advanced English Course Feedback

Post by silverysea »

Can you post a link?

I googled and got Advanced Electrolyte Technology
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Hi gulat,

You may not be aware but that that centre have been testing the children weekly throughout the year using their own test books and then setting full commercial tests over the last 2 months covering all the subjects.

I know of a group of children achieving well in excess of 90% average throughout the year and across all the tests they have been given to date.....they will all be sitting for the superselectives and Indis but not one of them will be doing advanced summer courses in English or Maths....they will be relaxing and going over the material they've already covered which is more than enough :)
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

You need some sort of summer course, or to get an English tutor experienced in 11+ at this stage if you don't feel able to assess creative writing yourself.

Does this centre offer a crash course?
gulat

Post by gulat »

Hi silverysea

AET stands for AE Tuition at Slough. They do offer an Advanced English and Advanced Maths crash course over summer. The Advanced English is meant to cover thier Creative writing Books 1 - 6. I do realise I need to work on creative writing and comprehension skills and was wondering if any parents had feedback on the usefulness of the above course

@ Sonasona: Thanks for the advice. Most superselectives and Indis are focussing on creative writing and comprehension. How are the students (scoring 90%+) gaining these skills? My understanding is that AET does not cover creative writing and comprehension as part of thier core course and offers it only as part of the summer crash course.
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

gulat wrote:Most superselectives and Indis are focussing on creative writing and comprehension. How are the students (scoring 90%+) gaining these skills? My understanding is that AET does not cover creative writing and comprehension as part of thier core course and offers it only as part of the summer crash course.
My point being that the children and their parents feel they don't need to do extra courses to do any creative writing.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Gulat, Creative writing and comprehension are very fundamental parts of the exams of North London selective state and private schools. AE tutition in Slough will be focusing on their local market and will not have been focusing on HBS and St M's. The students sonsansona is talking about will not be sitting HBS and St M;s. The girls who are certainly will not be relaxing over the summer but will be honing their skills and chasing the marks. If you want to compete with them strong skills in Creative Writing and Comprehension are a must. Read the posts from 2girlsmum on Creative Writing for St M's
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now