Summer Maths revision

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sleeplessinhalstead

Summer Maths revision

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

Can anyone suggest some maths resources suitable for revising year 8 work over the summer? DD1 as has been told to do extra over the summer. Thanks, feeling stressed, just can't get her to do any work....
Guest55

Re: Summer Maths revision

Post by Guest55 »

PM me the level ... does she have access to Mymaths?
russet

Post by russet »

My own daughter loves doing Khan Academy, and it has the extra advantage of being free.

There are also the Letts or CPG revision guides and accompanying workbooks for KS3.

It is difficult for children to be told they are not good at a subject and at the same time expect them to have the enthusiasm to do extra work at that subject. You need also to build her confidence in her ability to succeed at maths. If you get your dd involved in seeing what areas need improvements and planning the work herself she is more likely to get on with it. If all else fails, resort to bribery.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Khan academy has some 'issues' as it does not always match the way it is taught ...
russet

Post by russet »

Granted, it does follow the American rather than English curriculum, but maths is universal. He originally set it up to teach his young relative, so the videos are wonderfully clear and do have a feeling of someone sitting with you explaining it. You can also choose to try out different levels. Dd much preferred it to the more prescriptive package with endless repetitive questions and distracting cartoon explanations of the bought in package from school. As it is free it is worth a look at to make up your own mind, even if it is only to use occasionally to find explanations for difficult maths concepts.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

maths is universal
Some of the videos are likely to confuse rather than help - there are other sites which are better aligned to our curriculum.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

We have used Khan Academy for many years with successful results. Tune to suit the curriculum,
russet

Post by russet »

I suppose each child learns in a different way, but dd has never been confused by the Khan Academy teaching; she goes from not understanding something in maths to understanding it. We started using it when I did not understand something I was trying to explain to her from a book. Part of the explanation is not just what to do, but why.

Dd does, however, follow the instructions of pausing the video and trying the problem herself so she is more engaged with the explanation. My tip is to put a pencil and paper next to them and at least for the first few times remind them to do this. If she does have problems she also leaves it for a few days then comes back when it has had time to sink in; it then seems a lot easier. The program also returns them to subjects after a day or two so that it goes from short term to long term memory.

I did look at the few sample subjects on Mymaths and found the methods of using computer learning comparatively old fashioned. Also it seemed to cost over £600 and is tailored to whole school learning. Can you get it cheaper as an individual parent or can you recommend any much cheaper or free sites which are better?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

If she is only 8 it must be fun fun fun, almost improving skills without knowing she is doing it, especially as it is the summer hols, poor thing! And poor you, feeling pressure to do this. I would be tempted to gently hold out that holiday must be holiday, esp as she still has plenty time before eleven plus. But if you really want to do something extra, how about browsing the numerous apps on iPad or android that make maths fun, something like 'maths bingo' which we used and which made learning times tables (an absolute bedrock for success in maths) much more fun.
A bit more than that, but worth the £30 or so it cost, is big brainz timez attack, which again is times tables based but puts them in the manner of a tomb raider type platform game, take a look at the free version, which is fab, and when mine were 8 they loved it.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

OP stated year 8, not 8 years old for clarification
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now