Failed every mock exam :(

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nadkha

Failed every mock exam :(

Post by nadkha »

Hi

Feeling a tad depressed today after having received yet more mock exam results. DD has taken about 6 so far and failed each one. With a couple she just passed the maths but failed English which brought her overall marks, at least 15 marks, below the pass mark.

Are these mock exams quite representative of the actual exams?

She keeps making same mistakes and despite having tried several tutors trying to drill the same techniques into her she just doesn't take heed!

Any feedback appreciated
southbucks3

Re: Failed every mock exam :(

Post by southbucks3 »

Stop doing mock exams! You will just upset her, I am surprised she hasn't dug her own heels in yet. Is it the sane company....do you keep paying to do more in other words? They notoriously make them hard, so you buy tuition.

The most important thing now is to boost her confidence again, simple 15 minute tests she can do well in.
All the different tutors cannot be helping either...why do you keep swapping?

Give her a break, let her enjoy herself, but if you can gently go through her repetitive mistakes with her with lots of parental positive encouragement it will do far more good than more stress and more strangers "drilling" her.

How was her year 5 report btw, is it encouraging, not just in levels but effort, confidence and other aspects of school?
nadkha

Post by nadkha »

No I have used different companies for the mocks.

DD doesn't seem bothered at all when the results come. It doesn't phase her one bit! Its me who feels upset about it.

Maths is level 5 and English Level 4c. She's a confident out going girl, her teachers all think she is very capable.

I have sat with her and gone over the same mistakes trying different techniques. She will say she understands and gets it, but give it a few days and she will make the exact same mistakes!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Has she expressed desire to attend gs? Some children just don't want to enter that highly academic environment...My youngest for example, also in year 5, great report, fantastic effort at school, 5c, 5c, 4a levels, but no overwhelming desire to pass the 11+ or join his bruvs at gs.

How is her report in general?

Sometimes English is the last thing to develop, but blooms later, sometimes it can be an actual problem transferring thought to page. Have the teachers expressed any concern in the difference between maths and English?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@nadkha: Have you analysed her mock or practice papers? Are there any particular area where she has difficulties? If so, then go back to basics and clarify the concepts, do some harder problems and then attempt practice papers relevant to the entrance tests for schools you are aiming for. Good Luck.
copella

Post by copella »

Dear nadkha I can see how upsetting this must be for you but it doesn't sound as if your daughter has bought into the desire to go to a grammar school. You say she is not upset and just continues to make the same mistakes. Have you asked her if this is what she wants. Often as parents we assume our desires are the same as our children's. Can you go to any open days so that she can be reminded of the reasons for all this work. Perhaps as disappointing as it may feel grammar school is not for her. She may be capable but unless she signs up to the idea of the exams and the work which goes with it she will not pass. My ds had friends with parents desperate for them to go to grammar schools and nearly all ended up at the local comp. they did not want to do the work and couldn't understand why it was necessary. Sit down and find out what she wants, take her to any open days before term ends and see if this changes things. I would also stop going to mocks. They just make you anxious. She knows the numbers and what it will be like sitting an exam. Now is the time to concentrate on those problem areas.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Some great advice here. I would only add, if you and most importantly, she, feel that this is still something you want to pursue I would think about a home tutor, very unthreatening, who will come and do general curriculum work with her, no exams, no obviously eleven plus stuff, just general confidence giving across the board work, with little or no homework, all based around making her feel good about herself. That's if you decide you want a tutor at all. I agree that any company you buy into will want to scare you into buying more and more resources.
J50

Post by J50 »

nadkha wrote:No I have used different companies for the mocks.

DD doesn't seem bothered at all when the results come. It doesn't phase her one bit! Its me who feels upset about it.

Maths is level 5 and English Level 4c. She's a confident out going girl, her teachers all think she is very capable.

I have sat with her and gone over the same mistakes trying different techniques. She will say she understands and gets it, but give it a few days and she will make the exact same mistakes!

Is 4c high enough really for grammar school entrance? I would have thought that someone who was going to be strong enough to gain entry at 11+ to the selectives would need to be 5c or higher at the end of Year 5? I know that there is a bigger picture than that etc., but 4c is a long long way from the 5s and a level I think my son was on about 2 years ago.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

If you are looking at the Surrey schools I would agree that a level 4c is not going to be high enough to compete for a place. Many will be high level 5 by now. I think you do need to sit down with her and work out what she wants to do. Have you got good alternatives in your area? Many of my children's friends are doing brilliantly at comps. Sorry, stating the obvious, but do remember it's not just grammars that provide a good education. Best wishes for your decision making.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

At this stage only use the papers to build on, remember there is no pass or fail, everyone is ranked, perhaps these mocks set are just too difficult. I agree to move on to short sharp tests and build confidence. Always have an alternative lined up though. My DD is same levels as yours but the other way around, we are a different county though. I think my DD will be boarder-line, but who knows, it's anyone's on the day, some just buckle under pressure.

Good luck :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now