Group / paired work

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
abcdef

Group / paired work

Post by abcdef »

Hi there, I'm in desperate need of advice on how to handle a situation regarding group work.

My son has been paired with another (very intelligent) boy to do some work together a number of times this year. However, this boy does no share of the work at all. Two weeks ago they were asked to prepare a poster together. My son invited this boy round at the first weekend (he lives very close to us) but he did not show. Then, during the week my son has asked him to simply write up a couple of paragraphs on the computer which he has also failed to do. So, my son has prepared the poster himself over the last couple of evenings.

The problem is this: he doesn't want to fall out with this boy, or become a 'tell tale', but at the same time it seems unfair if the boy gets credit for something he has taken no part in.

I apologise if this sounds very whingy but I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Take it to the Teacher. Advise her of the situation.
Your son won't be the tell tale, you will. If you explain this issue too, the teacher should deal with the situation delicately, and hopefully sort it out to everyones satisfaction.

Good Luck

BW
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Thanks BW
I think I will do as you suggested and speak to the teacher. I didn't really want to interfere now my son is at secondary but - like you said - at least it makes me the tell tale and not him. The other alternative is to hope the teacher realises who has done the work but I'm not confident of this outcome...
Anyway, will let you know what happens - I will try and speak to the teacher tomorrow.
Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

As a teacher I would want to know this -
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I hope the problem was sorted without any discomfort for your son.

I am surprised that a teacher would set group / paired work to be done outside the classroom. Yes, in the classroom where the teacher can see what is going on and facilitate equal participation where necessary, but at home? It sounds crazy. What is the point?

Is this a common experience at many secondary / grammar schools?
solimum

paired work

Post by solimum »

My daughter has done this sort of thing in pairs or groups occasionally (most recently a small group of them working together to produce a presentation on earthquakes...) which usually seems to work OK. I'm sure the teachers are aware that contributions are not always equal - sometimes for unavoidable reasons. It's a little easier as my DD is at our local comp so her classmates are all local, and often it provides a good excuse to spend hours after school with her best friend!
Old hand

Re: Group / paired work

Post by Old hand »

abcdef wrote:Hi there, I'm in desperate need of advice on how to handle a situation regarding group work.

My son has been paired with another (very intelligent) boy to do some work together a number of times this year. However, this boy does no share of the work at all. Two weeks ago they were asked to prepare a poster together. My son invited this boy round at the first weekend (he lives very close to us) but he did not show. Then, during the week my son has asked him to simply write up a couple of paragraphs on the computer which he has also failed to do. So, my son has prepared the poster himself over the last couple of evenings.

The problem is this: he doesn't want to fall out with this boy, or become a 'tell tale', but at the same time it seems unfair if the boy gets credit for something he has taken no part in.

I apologise if this sounds very whingy but I would appreciate any advice. Thanks
I would advise you and your son not to say anything at all to the school. It is the other boy who has missed out by not getting the experience of doing the work, and your son will have benefited. The other boy will no doubt feel some debt of gratitude to him as well. I think your son is a winner all round if he can resist the temptation to complain on this or any other occasion. The school will make sure that no-one can take credit for work they haven't done when it really matters, eg coursework.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DS has done paired work at home - but not until the second year when they had had the chance to decide who they wanted to work with!
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Thanks to all for replying.

In the end the problem has sorted it self out. I didn't have chance to speak to the teacher this morning and the other lad handed my son 3 lines of notes this morning to add to the poster. My son put his name on his work and added this extra bit with the other lad's name on. My son said it was clear who had done what. So luckily neither my son nor myself have had to complain.

I like the idea of group or paired work but it is quite difficult when set for homework. In this case the boys lived very close to each other but they could have lived at opposite sides of the city. Also, as in our case, it is difficult when one member is lazy and happy to take credit for the work of others. Fingers crossed that the next assignment set can be an individual one!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Glad it sorted out and is clear who did what!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now