starting at Marling - daft questions for a newbie.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
steppemum

starting at Marling - daft questions for a newbie.

Post by steppemum »

OK, so I have some daft questions to ask and don't want to make a fool of myself at Marling parent's evening. The trouble is dh didn't go to school in UK and I went to boarding school, and I am realising that I know nothing about an ordinary secondary school :oops:
Can anyone answer these for me?

1. How does the money for lunches work? Do they have cards? Parent pay? Cash?
2. p.e. kit - I am used to primary where they leave it in school all the time, so at secondary, do they bring it in on the days they need it? Do they know which bits of it they need? Is the towel for swimming, or do they shower after all sport? When do they need athletic support? Where do I buy one! Are the white socks normal white sports socks or are they like football socks? Or do I just ask Bateman's?
3. Do they have lockers - or more precisely, do they use their lockers?
4. Do they wear coats in the winter? (most kids I know don't)

I feel totally useless - no idea what I am doing!
MedievalBabe

Re: starting at Marling - daft questions for a newbie.

Post by MedievalBabe »

My DS is not at Marling but STR, but we have also been visiting the other GS for DD and we have found each school has different ways of doing lunch. DS has money each week which he has to budget over the week, he buys himself something at lunchtime every day bar one when he has a club so he buys a panini at break time and eats it then.

But in the visits we have found some schools have a card account where you put the money on via an online site and you can then see what they have eaten or they are cash systems.

On the PE stakes DS takes his kit at the beginning of term and brings it home at half term and at the end of term. He is only Y7 so it has not got to the point where it can walk home on its own! He does take his swimming kit on a weekly basis, and a towel for sport he doesn't use his, apparently very few have a shower as they have sport just before lunch and only shower if they are dirty, yuck!

Coats whatever the weather appear to be a no no, even if it is throwing it down then he might, might wear his coat but otherwise definitely no coat.
Teach

Post by Teach »

Hi. Have two sons at Marling. All boys in Year 7 can have a locker which they generally use for storing PE kit. Mine have always brought it in on the day it is required. They do a lot of sport but like it to be clean. They don't use the canteen often but take cash for when they do. PE is white shorts, house vest and generally bare feet or if not white socks and trainers. Rugby is blue shirts, rugby top and blue socks.
A kit list will be given at the parents' evening. Batemans will be present and you can sign up for a loyalty card. The only things I bought from there was the blazer, rugby top, PE vest and games socks. M&S do two pairs of rugby shorts for cheaper than one pair from BatemansM
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

thanks - teach do yours take packed lunch then? I was hoping he would use the canteen.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

sorry - another question Teach - don't the rugby shorts need their name on? Where do you get that done if you buy them from M&S?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Hi Steppemum,
Some have been answered before.
1. Canteen, lots take packed lunches,DS thinks canteen is a bit naff (though hopefully that will change with the new build). It's cash at the moment.

2. Pe kit, Ds leaves his in his locker until it gets dirty, he has never used a towel, or an athletic support. White socks are ordinary sports socks, they will need rugby socks to from Batemans. We bought all named kit from batemans, yes the shorts are more expensive, but are good quality and will last, Batemans embroider the things in the correct colours.

3. Lockers, all y7s are entitled to a locker, a small deposit is payable though. And yes they do get used. After y7 lockers are not definite, depending upon availability.

4. Coats, many don't wear coats, but there is a larger proportion than many might think that do.

Sd
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Thanks all.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

SD - when will the new canteen be open?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Early 2015 I think. (March ??)
Madmum38

Post by Madmum38 »

So glad it's not just me wondering these things !! I have an add on to the PE kit question .... They are allowed to take their phone ( I'm glad as it means if he's stuck he can get hold of me ) but have them switched off but what do they do with them when they're at PE ? I'm imagining all their bags hung up in the changing room ( like in my day as very long time ago !! ) but slightly worried about the fact he'll have his wallet with bus pass , change & his phone in the bag ! ......... See lots of random worries floating around in my head !!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now