KES Schoolbag please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

KES Schoolbag please

Post by Yamin151 »

Hi

Need to get Thing 2 a schoolbag. He is not a style watcher, he won't want to stand out at all but is unlikely (I am sure) to come home after a few weeks and demand a fashion one, honestly), but as I say he won't want to stand out as different by having a logo or colour. Does KES have guidance on this?
Plain black?
They have had kind of canvas-y ones before but develop holes really quickly and that was primary school, so thinking something more sturdy like the plasticy material old adidas type bags used to come in, thick, shiny type, any recommedations?
Found an 'animal' one for £17 with integral water bottle. It is black but does have the animal logo, fairly subtle, is this acceptable?

Any recommendations happily accepted! Thing 1 has to have pilot bag on wheels which costs a fortune and is as big as him, it had best last 5 years!!!!! Rucksack much preferable!
Peridot

Re: KES Schoolbag please

Post by Peridot »

If it's a satchel style one you are after, make sure it's got rivets or whatever they are called to strengthen the join between the strap and the bag. Otherwise they break really quickly if overloaded. I think we had a couple of Dunlop or similar ones go west within a term because of this. I then bought him a Fred perry one which was more expensive but lasted a lot longer until the zip went. Both of mine have now got Eastpak bags - son a backpack one, daughter a messenger bag - over the shoulder style. Lots available online, prices around £30 upwards. I have to say so far they've really been worth the investment as they are so strong and roomy. They are available in loads of different designs and colours depending how much you are prepared to spend. Obviously much much cheaper online than in a shop and much better choices.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Sorry realised that doesn't actually answer your question Yamin as I have no idea what the bag rules are, if any, for KES!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

backpacks seem to last a bit longer - agree Eastpak or have found that Jeep seem to last for ages
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

THanks guys, there are a lot of people recommending Eastpac, will take a look
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

We checked out Eastpak bags in a big department store first (naughty I know) to see which model/size was best - try to imagine fitting a couple of A4 folders in, plus some heavy text books, packed lunch, water bottle, whatever. It's hard to visualize them in use when you look at the pictures online.
ChilledDad

Post by ChilledDad »

The KES website states:

"Bag or Case
Plain dark colour with
no large motifs."

I suggest a backback. This is available on the parents log-in on the KES website under Uniform policy.

I hope this helps.
doodles

Post by doodles »

If Eastpac isn't suitable I would recommend jeep like Herman. They seem to last that bit longer.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

As chilleddad says, dark blue or black and plain is preferred - head not a fan of logo'd stuff, unless it is the KES logo! It will need to fit an A4 leverarch music file (bane of my life) and some days is very heavy, where they have a lot of lessons. I would stick with a rucksack style if you can - the year ds1 started, Tesco were doing an offer on a brand very similar to the Swiss one that makes pocket knives, so very sturdy....unfortunately lots of Y7 got them so it did make it a bit tricky finding his in the big pile outside of each classroom - however, it meant it was OK as lots had them! A few kids started with trendy messenger bags (ds2 has one that he is determined to use) but within a week had changed to rucksacks as the weight and amount of stuff they had to carry made them impractical.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Hi All, thanks loads for you suggestions. To be clear

- Yes, I always wanted black, as plain as possible
- Yes, always wanted a rucksack/backpack rather than anything else
- Yes, no coolness issues

Eastpak are looking good but a bit pricey (completely good value over time of course but two at once, with the other one £50 plus all the other gubbins, something has to give!)

I wondered about this one but can't seem to see any specific reviews

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GFM-Strong-Dura ... se_p_img_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now