Last minute doubts; Entered August: Panic hits!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pg19

Last minute doubts; Entered August: Panic hits!!

Post by pg19 »

Hello,
Has any of you tested your kids on CSSE 2010 test of maths and 2011 of english. My DS has found these 2 really hard. What do ppl on forum think? I tried to find the score of the 2010 entrants on the forum to see what was the highest marks attained,but could not find.
Another doubt, are you all telling dear kids to try and attempt all questions and give a guess in a situation where time is less; or are you of the opinion 'better to leave than to dive a bad guess'?confused regards this, as i was recently told buy one of my friends that if 2 kids have a same score and school has only 1 place to offer, then school refers back to the marked paper, and the child who has not attempted is prefered over the child who has wrongly answered. Have you heard that?
Kindly suggest.
pg
Minesatea

Re: Last minute doubts; Entered August: Panic hits!!

Post by Minesatea »

I think that belongs in our myths section!
The raw scores are standardised by the csse and then ranked (not the school). Standardised scores go to two decimal places and in the past it has been very rare to get two DC with exactly the same score. However schools have a line in their admission policy stating what would happen if two DC have the same score for the last place. CRGS for example states that priority is given to looked after children followed by straight line distance from childs home to the school. A count back of attempted wrong answers definitely doesnt feature.
I would definity advise to attempt all questions. The only exams any of my DC have taken where wrong answers are penalised is the junior and intermediate maths challenge papers.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Actually 3 decimal places - DS2's score ended '.962' - so even less likely to be an issue. On the subject of 'answer or leave?', a blank is a no-score, a guess may or may not gain you a mark :) And yes, the 2011-entry English was reckoned to be more difficult than previous years at the time (unfortunately 'so was the VR', according to one lad I sympathised with at breakfast club the day after allocations over his failure to get into WHSB :( ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
chinners

Post by chinners »

Hi,

My DD actually sat the 2011 entry and yes, the english was particularly tough that year. She scored 27/50 but her VR and Maths were quite high. She ranked 49th for CCHS and is going to year 9. My DS attempted it few weeks ago and we went through the corrections today. He found it very hard - so many words were new to him. The 2011 Maths he found hard as well. They were both particularly hard papers.

Do not despair. I felt a bit low but picked myself up and encouraged him to go over the wrong answers and read the passage again. We press on. It is well. Whatever comes in September we can only pray and hope that they will conquer...
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

If it's the Capitan Corelli's Mandolin extract you are referring to (2010 paper for Sept 2011 entry), then yes it was very tough. DD1 is going into Yr 9 now and this paper was the paper for the cohort starting Yr 10 next month. The paper for 2012 entry was much more straightforward. The 2011 entry paper was a change in format which didn't help either. This year's will be different again so I wouldn't worry to much about a low mark on this paper, from memory children with raw scores of 25 and I think I have seen one as low as 18, got places on allocations day.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now