Fingers Crossed for you all that are awaiting results on Fri

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Fingers Crossed for you all that are awaiting results on Fri

Post by Guest »

Good Luck and fingers crossed to you all for Friday...hope you get what you wanted.....
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Parents

I wish you all the best of luck for Fridays results, I sincerely hope your children recieve the required scores.

Please do not open the letters on school grounds, there is nothing worse than seeing one parent whooping with joy and another screaming with sorrow, especially with their children looking on [ and yes I have witnessed this!]

I would also advise not to allow children to ring their friends straight away, please leave a suitable gap, perhaps find out the results first.

Regardless of scores, celebrate the fact they have worked hard, I told my own chidren we would go out to dinner whatever the outcome.

Should your child not gain the required mark, channel all negative thoughts into an appeal [if you and the school believe a grammar is suitable] I am sure our resident appeals expert, Etienne together with Sally-Anne will be on hand in the appeals section...

Non selection for a grammar school is NOT the end of the world, several of my childrens friends attended upper schools and all come out with very good/excellent GCSEs and A levels...

Patricia
in Turmoil

Results

Post by in Turmoil »

patricia wrote:Dear Parents

I wish you all the best of luck for Fridays results, I sincerely hope your children recieve the required scores.

Please do not open the letters on school grounds, there is nothing worse than seeing one parent whooping with joy and another screaming with sorrow, especially with their children looking on [ and yes I have witnessed this!]

I would also advise not to allow children to ring their friends straight away, please leave a suitable gap, perhaps find out the results first.

Regardless of scores, celebrate the fact they have worked hard, I told my own chidren we would go out to dinner whatever the outcome.

Should your child not gain the required mark, channel all negative thoughts into an appeal [if you and the school believe a grammar is suitable] I am sure our resident appeals expert, Etienne together with Sally-Anne will be on hand in the appeals section...

Non selection for a grammar school is NOT the end of the world, several of my childrens friends attended upper schools and all come out with very good/excellent GCSEs and A levels...

Patricia
Thank you for your sensible words, we too have agreed to go out for dinner regardless!
Last year my elder daughter took the exam and although she qualified we chose not to tell her the actual score. It can be upsetting enough for those who have not qualified but to have your nose rubbed in it, is even worse. One child took great delight in announcing to the whole playground that she had scored maximum marks!

Good luck everybody and channel positive thoughts to your children whatever the outcome.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All the best to everyone - we'll be here whatever the outcome.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Good luck everyone - and listen to Aunty Patricia's wise advice! :D

The only thing I would add to that is to ask you please to be sensitive to the parents of the children who don't get through and ask your child to be sensitive towards the children.

I never fail to be amazed at the stories I hear about how thoughtless or even vindictive some people can be when their child qualifies and someone else's doesn't.

Yes, we will be here for you on Friday and over the weekend, as I am sure will Etienne.

Sally-Anne
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

Good Luck everyone.

For those who don't get the news they hope for, but decide to celebrate their child's hard work by going out to dinner anyway, think hard about your choice of restaurant. Is it a popular venue for families from your school or other local schools? If yes, others who have had better news will be out celebrating their success. If you think this would spoil your evening be sure to choose a different restaurant, or a take-away.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Very good advice indeed Hilda.

We did take-away on the bad night, and it was definitely the best choice under the circumstances. :cry:

However, when everything finally came up roses, we also did take-away - Son's choice. (See REHAB, Are You Ready For This ...) :D

Sally-Anne
Suki

Post by Suki »

Hi

I just wanted to add to all this useful advise on how important it is to celebrate all the hard work your child has put towards their eleven plus. My son did the Bucks test last year and scored 120 in both, obviously we were all very dissapointed more so him, but we went out for dinner and praised him for all his hard work.

We then put all our energy into the appeal with a lot of positive input from his junior school head teacher and class teacher. We were successful at the appeal and again we celebrated the same way as we did when he received his results.

He now attends Burnham Grammar, absolutely loves it....there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good Luck to all
MelX

Post by MelX »

Hi everyone

Don't get on here too often at the moment but wanted to come on today to say good luck to all of you and ofcourse your wonderful hard working your children.

Try and keep yourself busy until they come home. I agree with not opening in the playground and not even sticking around as alot do open for all to see and then start to share what the result looks/feels like etc. You don't need to know that.

If it helps, we gave a little prep chat to our son before we allowed him to open the letter about how proud we were no matter what. We re-emphasised to him that whatever the outcome we would be positive. We then gave him a small gift (again before) and told him it was a gift for having put in all the hard work and for making us so proud.

As everyone here has said whatever happens for you there are lots of people on here that will continue to offer advice where needed

Good luck

Mel
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

We decided a few weeks ago not to tell our daughter the actual scores, regardless of what they are. We then received a letter from our Head yesterday who also seemed to suggest this was a good idea

The only circumstance I can imagine where it might be tempting is if she got over 130, which in our case is very unlikely.

Thoughts ?