Some summer holiday......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Everycloud

Some summer holiday......

Post by Everycloud »

Ok..... Well we have been looking at GL tests and DD has been absolutely fine on all aspects. Today we looked at a NVR paper 8 and her scores plummeted to 43 (normally over high 50's). Do I just class this as an off day?

Can anyone tell me how long per day you are looking at papers ? We are doing 1 day work and 1 day off (When I say a workday, more like a morning)... Am I doing too much or not enough? I feel guilty as she's meant to be on summer holiday (although we are doing fun stuff on the days we aren't working). Family holiday booked for a week at the end of Aug (not the best decision made by my husband). Do I take stuff with me? Goodness me, can't believe I am thinking like that! Am I insane? :oops:

I'm starting to get very anxious now and we haven't really looked at spatial reasoning!!!!!! My spatial reasoning is really poor - I struggled to follow the instructions to build a Lego Tree House!!!!

I really can't wait until this is all over. I don't want to be a pushy but like every parent on here - I want the best for my child and want to make sure she is as prepared as she could be!

Any suggestions would be great!
mystery

Re: Some summer holiday......

Post by mystery »

Are you quoting percentages? Anything over 50 percent ish would in the old test have got you through so you should be fine. Practice can't hurt. Kids have bad days - we all pray it will not be on the test day. Those gl nvr papers vary in difficulty.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hold on in there, it will soon be over. I remember feeling exactly the same during the summer of 2012 and I think that everybody probably feels like you are at sometime.

Do you work all day on a work day? And then have the whole of the next day off? If you work a whole day is the latter part of it productive or a bit of a chore, would it be worth doing a little bit each day? Don't know but just a thought.
Everycloud

Post by Everycloud »

Thanks Mystery - 43 out 72 on the GL NVR paper 8, so that should be ok then, just worried about the sudden drop.

We normally work for the morning - depends really, I normally stop if I feel she has had enough.... I think I may try just working in the mornings from tomorrow and see if that helps - thanks doodles!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Hi Everycloud,

I totally sympathise, empathise and everything else! Can't wait for it to be over as well. We've been doing a paper 3-4 days a week, though we're now repeating them as we've run out :? Not sure if that's a good thing or not. His scores are improving again after a very dramatic dip; I don't think it's just because he remembers the answers :roll: :wink:

I too keep saying I must look into spatial reasoning. I bought something for 19 quid on the ipad, which won't work because I don't have the something or other to support it and, since that debacle, I've hid my head in the sand. I think I'm sort of hoping the rest of it will be ok. I don't know. I'm a bit sick of spending money on all this, particularly so close to the exam, but perhaps I ought to.

43/72 sounds fine to me, particularly on a day in the middle of a summer holiday. I'm finding that the fact that it's only a few weeks until Exam day has focussed DS's mind a bit: he seems lighter-spirited. We're going away next week for 2 weeks, so not sure we're going to get much done then: there's a limit to what we can take!#

Ugh. Then I dare say we'll be stressing about results day .... :P
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

We are going through the same at the moment. DD seems to score lower than she did a few weeks ago. Think she has had enough!! (and so had I to be honest)....

Feeling like just giving up and hope for the best on the day. Please talk me out if it.. :(

Thank you
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

MerlinFromCamelot wrote:We are going through the same at the moment. DD seems to score lower than she did a few weeks ago. Think she has had enough!! (and so had I to be honest)....

Feeling like just giving up and hope for the best on the day. Please talk me out if it.. :(

Thank you

Fly be free Merlin and child, have a week off, play, enjoy, be really really lazy. Then have another little go, with less intensity.
You can still read together and you can still talk in the ludicrous 11+ fashion to her and any other poor soul that speaks to you in the next month or so:
"Darling the weather is absolutely torrid, hot, scorching, today, be sure to apply an abundant amount, lots of, plenty of, Sun cream to your skin, dermis. Are you listening carefully and comprehending everything I say.....darling, sweetheart....Don't walk away when mummy is talking, you are being extremely insolent, disrespectful, rude............"

You will return to work with a new passionate desire to conquer nets.... :twisted: :lol:
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Love it sb3!
Mumof2boyskent

Post by Mumof2boyskent »

Hello, I am new here, well I've been reading the forum for ages but not actually posted before.

My 2nd son is sitting in Kent on 10th sept. He has not had a tutor to date, but is sitting a couple of mock exams with a tutor next week.

We have been working on and off on bond books etc since about Easter, but really cranked up the revision a couple of weeks before the end of term. Maths, VR and NVR don't seem to be too much of a problem, English (especially comprehension) is his weakness.

We do 1 hour a day, everyday (2 half GL papers in different subjects) and we did that during our 2 weeks in France, apart from travelling days! Some days are more of a struggle than others, but I keep reminding him it's only an hour out of the day and there are only xx more days until the test. Trying the beat the last score works well for us, especially on the English papers. I keep reminding him that it will all be worth it - a good school = a good education = a good university & a good job at the end of it (he wants to be a banker!)

It will all be over before we know it, then it's just the nailbiting wait for the results!

Be strong everyone xx :)
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

I have do many unused revision books lying around not being used. So far have not done that much this summer. Abt an hour a day with a few days off. Thîs is supposed to be our final push but just can't get in to it. DD digging her heels in, as I said previously, think she had enough. I just think it is total madness that a DC with a good level 5 in both maths and comprehension would not pass without studying most of the holidays. This is crazy. Will definitely pack it all up for the last week of August. Don't want her to start school in September feeling totally knacked!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now