age adjustments

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
snicks

age adjustments

Post by snicks »

Is any body aware of how the age of the 11 plus takers is taken into account please? do students get a point a month or 4 for 2 months? will all August birthdays get an extra 10 points. Just out of interest please?
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

The ages are weighted so that younger children are not disadvantaged. I can't tell you though how many marks the scores are adjusted by though. I thought it was approx 1 point per month but if you apply this over the 4 papers here in Bexley that could be a lot of points! Does anyone know for sure???
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

In Medway , it's written on our forms we received yesterday , that it starts at 70 and the highest is 140 .
One Down..

Post by One Down.. »

A clued-up friend with an end of August-born child was told by Kent EA that he would get 5% added, the maximum available. Seems a small amount for being a whole year younger.

I do know that the results are standardised month by month, so children are compared to those born in the same month. Not sure if the extra marks are added before or after this standardisation.
Maybe someone else could clarify for both of us??
Two down...

Age adjustments

Post by Two down... »

My son's birthday is 30th April, would he be put in the April birthday bracket or is there another way they do it? As he is so close to May it seems a shame he can't benefit from an extra month. Anyone know?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I know that weighting can be advantage to the younger ones, however I wouldn't put too much effort into thinking about it.
I would just try to concentrate on building up your child's exam strategy as much as poss. ie. concentrate on weaker areas, practice eliminating the wrong answers in multiple choice questions that are harder etc. and also make sure that the areas they are good at they maintain and don't get too complacent.
Just my advice. :)
snicks

age adjustments

Post by snicks »

I was just interested in he age adjustment and how it works, interest nothing else. Been very lucky, both my daughters are grammar school girls. I have only been concerned about them.
chad

Post by chad »

This is taken from the NFER website....

Almost invariably in ability tests taken in the primary and early secondary years, older pupils achieve slightly higher raw scores than younger pupils. However, standardised scores are derived in such a way that the ages of the pupils are taken into account by comparing a pupil only with others of the same age (in years and months).
An older pupil may in fact gain a higher raw score than a younger pupil, but have a lower standardised score. This is because the older pupil is being compared with other older pupils in the reference group and has a lower performance relative to his or her own age group.
One Down..

Post by One Down.. »

Two down..
We were in the same position as yourself, with daughter no.1 born two hours from end of month. I was told she would still be marked within that month, but it couldn't have disadvantaged her that much as she passed well!
I think this sort of intricate sorting of the detail of the exam process is useful to occupy our minds and to help us rationalise the ordeal to come! Knowledge is power (and possibly sanity as well!) :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now