Remember the unpronounceable Icelandic Volcano?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Remember the unpronounceable Icelandic Volcano?

Post by hermanmunster »

Well there is a more pronounceable one now Bardabunga under the Vatnajokull Glacier.... been significantly rumbling for last 27 hours .. (hasn't been happier for a while but this is the grumpiest I have seen it)

http://www.vedur.is/skjalftar-og-eldgos ... /#view=map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://hraun.steinar.is/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The glacier is up to 7 Km deep so it would take a big eruption to show through, no sign of anything yet but it is seriously big volcano.

The icelandic scientists have sensors everywhere, they look at harmonic tremor and sulphur content of water in glacial streams - an increase in this indicates that something is cooking under the glacier
solimum

Re: Remember the unpronounceable Icelandic Volcano?

Post by solimum »

Ooohh errr...

Visited Iceland last year and I have a mug which tells me how to pronounce the name (moment of smugness). The area around it is still covered in fine grey silt and gravel for miles around.

I'm hoping they'll be more organised with predicting any effect on air travel if there is another eruption - a lot of work goes into monitoring volcanoes all over the world
stroudydad

Re: Remember the unpronounceable Icelandic Volcano?

Post by stroudydad »

solimum wrote:
I'm hoping they'll be more organised with predicting any effect on air travel if there is another eruption - a lot of work goes into monitoring volcanoes all over the world
Much of it thanks to the work of the team at Mt. St Helens. I'm lucky enough to have visited St Helens and Rainier, as have family living on the side of Rainier.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now