Missed registration deadline

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cocoa0101

Missed registration deadline

Post by cocoa0101 »

Hi

One of my tutees' parents claim to have sent in the registration form for Reading Boys back in May and realised too late that actually Reading Boys appears not to have received their application. She contacted the school late July and has now been told that because this does not fall into the area of 'exceptional circumstances' then her son will not be able to sit the exam. This seems to be unfair, she is adamant that she sent the form in, she just didn't realise that she should have received confirmation soon after.

Has anyone any experience of this? Is there anything she can do?

Many thanks

Cocoa0101
Daogroupie

Re: Missed registration deadline

Post by Daogroupie »

I had a parent last year who did an online form and did not realise she should have received confirmation. When the test allocation dates started coming through she did not get one. When she contacted the school they had no record of her application and refused to give her dc a slot. She went down to the school and sat in reception and requested to meet with someone from the SMT but was refused. They hold all the power if you can't prove you applied. I recommend hand delivery of all forms and getting a written receipt and records kept of online confirmation. DG
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Thanks. I just feel for the the boy who has worked so hard. What a let down for him.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Does she have any record in her 'sent' folder?
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

My parent was one who posted it not sent in online.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Did she ask for a free 'proof of posting' receipt?
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

No, she has no proof whatsoever.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Cocoa, 9 out of 10 parents this happens to are "adamant" that they have sent the form. I'm sorry to say that in truth, the figure is probably more like 1 in 10. Admissions teams get pretty cynical about it all, hence the downright refusal to concede to a late request.

The only crumb of comfort might be this. On the application form it says:
On receipt of your application, a letter outlining the details of the test day will be sent to you. If you have not received the details of the test day by Friday 5th September 2014, please contact the school immediately.
That suggests some leeway ...

Did she apply to any of the other schools, or did she apply to sit the consortium test via Reading School? If she can demonstrate that she submitted the form for another school at around the same time, it might help her cause.
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

She only applied for Reading.

Will pass on this info though.......who knows.

I agree that many say they have sent it when quite frankly they simply forgot. It seems unfair though that the victim is a 10 year old.

Many thanks.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now