Lamda exams Gloucestershire area

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DC17C

Lamda exams Gloucestershire area

Post by DC17C »

DD has been working through LAMDA exams at school but now the school have decided to drop the classes I think due to the disruption to classes as it was working like music lessons - so losing time in other lessons.

I am trying to work out what to do as DD has been doing well so far and really enjoyed the classes. She is working towards her grade 4 acting but now needs to find somewhere she can continue. She is a bit of an all rounder so doing well at most of her school subjects. I am a bit of a scientist type so not really sure of anything on the arts side but trying to encourage DD to learn a more balanced set of subjects and skills than I did as I think it will suit her better.

Her plan was to take Dance GCSE as it is a way to keep fit and a bit of a fun subject and her teacher is very keen for her to do the GCSE and to carry on with the Lamda exams as well. I don't think she has any great ambition to perform in the future but she enjoys it gets involved with school productions and seems to be doing quite well and I think it seems good in terms of confidence, speaking in public etc which will be useful whetever she ends up doing.

There are some local weekend performing arts schools around offering tuition. DD is already doing dance so does not want to do extra dance but enjoys singing so could do a combined singing and drama class. Anyone in the Gloucester/ Cheltenham/ Stroud areas have experience or can recommend any of the local weekend schools please PM me or if you have any other ideas for tuition - would prefer something after school if possible- that would be great. If anyone has any more general comments about drama classes, Lamda exams and their value ...or not as the case may be.... etc I would be interested in your comments.
MedievalBabe

Re: Lamda exams Gloucestershire area

Post by MedievalBabe »

I have a friend who's children do drama and they have taken LAMDA exams, they are part of Stagecoach Drama in Cheltenham. The only problem is whether they do after school classes or if they are at the weekend only. What a pain about the school stopping the LAMDA classes.

I also know friends who have children who go to the children's drama classes at the Everyman or Playhouse in Cheltenham and they have been very good, much better than other drama classes.

I know we had problems as DS dances but also enjoys drama, he wanted to take drama classes but they all clashed with his dance lessons on a Saturday, luckily he has been able to join the drama club at school. Pity that as he is at an all boys school they don't do dance so he won't be able to take it as a GCSE as he would love it.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi thanks for the reply- really useful - we might be OK as the tutor has had enough interest to start an after school class in a church hall close to the school. Hopefully he will get a few yr7s to start as well- I was looking at the Everyman or Playhouse options but not keen to trek over to Cheltenham every Friday night or weekend if I can avoid it :D
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I can understand not having the trek.

Hope it works out with the tutor.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

In my opinion it's hard to beat a company called flies on the wall in stroud run by the amazing Jo Bousfield, it's held at Lansdown Hall in Stroud, from aged 12-18. My DD did it every year til 18 and the final productions ( always with singing too) are just amazing - so much better than any other youth theatre I've ever seen!

She also made friends for life!

:D
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

neveragain* wrote:In my opinion it's hard to beat a company called flies on the wall in stroud run by the amazing Jo Bousfield, it's held at Lansdown Hall in Stroud, from aged 12-18. My DD did it every year til 18 and the final productions ( always with singing too) are just amazing - so much better than any other youth theatre I've ever seen!

She also made friends for life!

:D
Thank you for this - will see if I can find any info as that is not one I have come across so far
bananabrain

Post by bananabrain »

Kaleidoscope Creative Workshops meet on Saturdays for group sessions, but I think offer LAMDA classes in smaller groups on a week night. They meet in the Barnwood area of Gloucester
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thank you for the info - that might well suit us better.